1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Re-coating.

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by comfysofa, Mar 28, 2018.

1. That's paint, corrosions got underneath it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Not sure if I'm missing something here but if it's got under the paint it's got to the surface so...it's corroding which is essentially the same surface which is what bead blasting would uncover...

3. I’ve always found bare castings will always corrode more than well-painted equivalent in the end if used on UK roads unless absolutely mollycoddled and never used in the rain.

4. A really good paint will seal the surface and prevent corrosion but poor paint will trap moisture and promote corrosion.
    Allegedly, OEM paint is not etch primed, so promotes corrosion, in which case there is a case for having no paint at all.

5. agree ^ no paint is better than rubbish paint but looks like comfy will treat it to the best. I used to get everything electrophoretically painted as per Ford spec of late 70's - it had to withstand a 72 hour hot water/salt spray with no trace of corrosion afterwards.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yep. I think it'll be a couple of weeks before I get up there but as say this thread is going to be very long...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information