1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Engine Restoration

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by roadkill, Sep 26, 2020.

1. I do hope you’ve taken lots of photos :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tonight I decided I would crack on with the clutch side. Glad I had a decent impact gun as the eight bolts that hold the clutch housing in were a nightmare, Come to another halt tonight when I got to the primary gear nut. Now need to order a deep 30mm socket to continue, I'm also hoping my two/three legged pulley is up to the job of removing the primary gear without the need of the expensive Ducati tool...

20201004_202601.jpg

20201004_202810.jpg

20201004_203800.jpg

20201004_203807.jpg

20201004_204517.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  3. Are you sure this is your first strip down?:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Do not reuse the 8 bolts that held the clutch basket in place, get new ones and make sure you use loctite on them. They’re actually not torqued up that much, 25nm from memory but I may be mis-remembering, it’s the thread lock used that caused you grief probably.

Id say you need a new clutch basket as well. Which of course means a coloured one and a new coloured pressure plate to match, and then new springs and caps for same and then an open clutch cover to show it all off. Oh how the costs mount :joy:, we all know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Also make sure the little green o-rings in your last picture don’t go awol.

6. The stripping is the easy part, the rebuild is what scares me, watching YouTube and some parts look as hard as hell.. I have only ever changed clutch plates and piston rings before this..

Top information many thanks

Should I also replace these with new?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I didn’t, I reused them but one had a habit of continually falling out whilst the crankcase cover was off and I was repainting it. Hence why I say keep an eye on them.

You’ll need to order some ThreeBond as well for reassembling the crankcase covers.

Do you plan to split the crankcases as well?

8. Yes I have put the ThreeBond on my ebay watch list ready for when I need it.

My plan is to also split the crankcases and send all of the engine cases to be cerakoted.

Then let the rebuild begin, /still reading up on jobs like working out the shims for the crank, squish measurements and setting up the valves...

Jamie

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cerakote very searching and it found its way into places I did not want it when I had my fork outers done. Make sure you either tell the people applying the finish where it cannot be or mask up yourself. Andy

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. If you’re getting the entire engine cerakoted why not rebuild it entirely and then just mask off the inlets & outlets?

11. that (washer) is a shim! it is a critical size! the split in it is a fauld and you are lucky to have found it!
    its the exact one that caused my engine to fail! (replace it bud!)

also the dished washer from the stator needs replacing as they are a one use item! (not exspensive) either of them!

the shim in the photo looks like its been cut! its very strait! also the timing layshaft 22mm nut has a washer under it that should be bent up against the nut! the photo looks like the waSHER IS FLAT!!
    that would suggest that some idiot hasnt put the bike back together properly! again! lucky you found this!

with regards to the 22mm nut you can put a socket extention through the hole in the sprag, there is an oil hole to the top right to jam it while you undo it with a normal spanner! use the same way to toque it back up with the deep socket when you buy one! and please make sure you bend the washer back up against the nut!!!

F,Y,I.......the timing layshaft has a toothed roller on the other end! its easier to remove that before you undo the sprag with the 22mm nut! be warned though (its still a bastard to get off)

regards rich

• Like Like x 1
  12. So glad I have started this strip down as you never know what you might find, I never wanted to restore the bike without checking what the heart of the beast was like. At least once it's done it will hopefully be solid. I guess it split because it was incorrectly fitted and trapped?

I will put that on my order list for new bit I require

Sorry pal, I flattened both this washer and the one on the primary drive before taking the pics, looking at the internals I don't believe it have been stripped down this far before but I could be wrong, any other tell tale signs to spot if they have been split before?

Great Tip, I will hopefully get this off tonight then, also I have already took off the toothed roller on the other side...

Did you use the correct Ducati tool to remove the primary gear on the other side or did you manage to get a pully on it?

I can see you being a valuable asset during this rebuild, many thanks for your help so far!!!!!

Jamie

13. when i tore my bike down i was pissed, i can remember the swingarm pivot bolt was siezed through the engine!!
    i took to it with a 1/2 inch, long socket bar and a 22LBS sledg hammer! i woke up the next day and the bike was in bits.....i had a cracking hangover but cant remember tearing the engine down!

to answer your question! nope, i dont have the primary drive ducati tool haha!

ive taken it off since to put the sps stuff on and it was still a bastard to get off!

ive got a clutch and engine locking tool! brute force and ignorance haha

14. i would say someone has been in the engine before! the washer above the oil pump has been re used!

a proper ducati tec, would never bend it up against the retaining nut in that fashion! (it looks shoddy)

take comfort in the fact you have found these faults!

the shim from behind the stator....they can become trapped but what happens is they eventually find their way onto the seat where they are supposed to be! then you loose torque on the stator nut and a whole load of trouble!

on last thing! (i know your a ways off this yet) when you put the flywheel back on there are 2 little timing marks on the outer edge of the flywheel!
    they are 270 degrees apart, make sure these are in the right place.

they are so you can set the air gap for timing! it wont stop the bike from working one bit but if you get it wrong you will have to take the engine cover off to be able to set the gap!
    the timing marks when correct are visable though the little window on the stator casing.

regards rich

15. i was just reading about your clutch and the guy that suggested you replace it! its a good shout!

a small hack! use a 749/999 clutch if your doing this! its a direct swap,lighter,and most likley you will pick up a used(like new one for peanuts! people used to swap them out for the sigma slippers befor they even turned a wheel on the rd!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Great info, will look out for one.. Hopefully get it split this weekend if I can find a time slot :-(

J

17. All outer parts removed, the engine is now ready to be split..

Plan is to clean both sides, remove all bearings and send them off to be coated.

In the meantime I need to order a full set of bearings, do I have to stay with the ducati brand or can anyone recommend any others I can use? Also are the size of the bearings marked on them so that I know I'm ordering like for like?

Cheers J

• Like Like x 1
  18. You should be able to download a SKF catalogue online but be careful lots of bearings look similar, if in doubt buy from Ducati unless you can find someone to confirm what you are ordering :upyeah:

19. The finish line was in sight today but was abruptly halted due to a rounded Allen bolt..

I have trieda torx but no luck so back to the drawing board. Any ideas before I attempt to drill it out?

20201011_201740.jpg

20. Maybe a bit of polythene wrapped once only around the allen key for a much tighter fit.:thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information