1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eu Imposed Speed Restrictions

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mary Hinge, Mar 27, 2019.

?
  1. Not bother riding a bike

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Lump it and hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Think it is the right thing to do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buy a bike or keep a bike that allows you to speed for as long as possible

29 vote(s)
    90.6%
  1. I’m sure the technology can be developed for a ‘93 Monster, but I’ve no plans to fit it.
    The future availability of “proper” petrol is more likely to be an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hence ‘said on one ever’!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just wait till your only choice is a speed limited Nissan Leaf..... I forsee a large increase in 2nd hand market and body shops..... :D

4. I wonder if we can have minimum speed regulators fitted too. Serious question as there seems to be a lot of folks out there that do 35-40mph everywhere. Straight roads with 60 limit, villages, same speed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. The system will probably be (at the moment) too large to fit in a motorcycle due to packaging issues. Not to mention the drain on small motorcycle batteries.
    Not all vehicle collision are due to excessive speed either. So a blanket approach to road deaths I fear.

6. I heard on radio you can turn off but may be asked to explain why you did and then why you broke the limit. If correct track days will become even more popular

7. And try doing a safe overtake when you may need to boot it up to 10mph over the limit briefly, now that they're restricting you doing it.

Sometimes a bit of speed gets you out of a situation that could end very badly if. You suddenly hit a wall at 70

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I already have a speed limiter on my bike - it says Harley Davidson on the tank.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. out in the middle east, all the cars we get have a speed alarm at 120 kph, and im sure most rental cars in the UK/EU will have some thing similar soon. i cant see a physical limit being introduced as it will dry up one of the most accessible revenue streams for the government of the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I’m guessing we’ve all experienced riding mopeds/ small capacity bikes and how dangerous it was when a bus decided to pull out when you were along side it?
    Having to filter back in was a learning curve!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I used all my gears on my little Suzuki TS50K to get from one side of the road to the other!! ‘Sitting’ and ‘duck’ sprang to mind daily back then. It was bloody frightening.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ultimately its just a number.. 70 Mph.. set by someone who never asked you it it was the number you liked..
    gladly, living in Germany, i ride the 30 and 50 signs and ignore most of the rest.. 70 kph really means 100 here ( most of the time ;)

and there is still a part of me that giggles as you pass a police car on the autobahn doing 240+ .... the only concern is that they stop you to check for unofficial modifications.. #sorryidontspeakgerman

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. From what I can see its just the usual massive over reaction and add on a 'blame Europe' aspect. The system is just like Traction Control in that it can be turned on and off. Certainly I can see autonomous cars having set speeds to increase flow but I can't see it being implemented as an obligatory always on function on self drive cars any time soon.

• Crap Crap x 1
  14. Alarmist nonsense and terrible reporting. Just more anti Europe propaganda.

15. one more step closer to the matrix :D

16. And anyway, the article is about the mandatory fitting of speed limiters not speed restrictions. If it becomes mandatory in mainland Europe, the only comment I read that made any sense was manufacturers won't offer a non limited vehicle option specifically for the UK. Defacto enforcement. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. From the BBC? Ha, I doubt it...

18. Now that is, sadly but true, utter pie in the sky.

19. Yeah ridiculous statements but autonomous cars all moving around like trains on the motorways and main roads into cities and large towns could potentially drastically reduce road deaths I suppose and that's a serious possibility in say ten years. I hope it doesn't mean the end to normal vehicles like we have now, and would like to think that it will not since people will always like their freedom. On an optimistic note it could take lots of traffic off of the nice twisty roads that we like?.... I'll get back to my dreaming...

20. Hold onto your classics boys, (and girls) :)

Oh, and............Bloody Brussels :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information