1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 5

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Jimmy899, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Just been balancing the carbs on my 1957 triumph engined Triton, had to get out of the shed for a breather, the fumes were choking me. Can't beat a good old un.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. HUZZAH! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. That should be good then. Buy your Ducati before that date and you'll be fine, after and there will be additional duties on it and Ducati can also charge whatever prices they want to in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. grumpy pants

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I’m sure they have a dastardly plan to ramp up the price to £50k for a basic scrambler, and sell no bikes in the U.K. after Brexit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. No one said they would, but they CAN ramp up the price if they want and there WILL be tariffs if things remain as they are now. Bring it on.

7. I know, facts are fun aren't they ?

They CAN also do 15 laps of the football field in S & M bondage kit.

I do feel it's worth mentioning two points here, most of our motorcycles come from Japan and not europe and given the importance of the U.K. motorcycle market, BMW and Ducati will not want to see importing of non U.K. bikes again, it will kill their own dealers.

#28 noobie, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. BMW used to sell their cars in the UK at around 25% more than they did in mainland Europe, the EU stopped that. I find it amusing that the little country of 70 million people think that they are an important market for manufacturers in the 800 million people EU.
    What will be will be, one thing that is happening now and will not improve is that sterling will drop against the euro it always has and it always will. That will push UK prices up and fuel inflation, great for my pension.

• Crap Crap x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. They have done this in quite a few cars haven't they? My daughter has a focus that has the 1.0 litre engine with a turbo that goes quite well but seems to run out of puff at the top end.

10. I'm sure a lot of big trucks are euro 6 already?

11. I have to ask, have you any experience at all in sales & marketing or manufacturing, whether international or domestic?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  12. If I may with 2 points, I thought the eu was at or around 550 million but more if you are saying before the eu, that would mean you are using figures from 1973 to make a point for 2018 and genuinely believe with all the options we have now, that the germans will increase their car prices by 25%?

Personally I think this "little country" will do okay

as to the euro standards on vehicles, because it is largely environmentally driven, I suspect our standards will continue to match or exceed the eu's for quite some time. The worry is as we have seen with vw is that when the cheat for emissions was taken off, they run like a pig

13. I tried that. No one bit :(

14. We are making Euro 6 models now. :)

Pigs piss. :eek:

15. We'll teach them Frenchies and Germans, pretty soon the highest standard will be the Brit 7

Huzzah

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'll take that as a no then Bob.
    I'm sure I read that the EU (including the UK within the figures) is roughly 700 million, given our 'little country' is circa 65-70 million it makes us about 10%.

Interestingly the much larger land mass country Bob currently resides within has about the same population and about the same gdp per capita.

In terms of economy, our 'little country' is on par with Bob's current country.......make of that what you will.

In regards to manufacturers setting their sites on certain markets, where ever they are in the world, they tend to talk sales per individual country when above a certain economic value, not a singular number for an entire trading block such as the EU.

So the focus isn't all of the EU as such, although I appreciate the same hoops to jump through should in theory win access to all members, the interest is accessing specific individual markets that are within it

Germany, France, United Kingdom etc

To suggest that the UK market isn't of interest to any worldwide manufacturer worth their salt is frankly either naive, misguided or perhaps tainted slightly by sour grapes.

Considering our fairly small land mass and the economy that it contains, we're actually an easier country to shift product throughout than certain other countries with a much larger land mass but only a similar sized economy.

Simply having one UK hub makes logistics alone a no brainer versus larger more spread out countries as moving goods around adds to the bottom line cost.

#37 damodici, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Great, another thread turned into a Brexit debate...

To get back on topic, I think manufacturers will find a way to make bikes with character etc, just look at the car world, they are Euro5 at least and Porsche/BMW etc all make nice sounding motors. It just means more weight, complexity and price, but it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Most likely started by Nobbie. This place was much better when he flounced off.

• Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information