1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 5

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Jimmy899, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Actually it was Bob T who brought it in duke but I know facts are not your strong point.

The worry about the euro specs is that they seem to be castrating the vehicles and I wonder how long it will be before we are putting cards with pegs holding them on, on the rear wheel for some noise. As you say bob it is what it is and might just be that fuzzy phase between proper vehicles and electric of here any thing goes and let's try something new?

2. The new Brit 7 standard. HUZZAH! :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Have you driven the new 4 pot Caymen? It sounds dreadfull! Good car but the engine note is hideous. Give me the lower powered 6 pot anytime.

4. Car manufacturers introducing turbos aas the only way you could get ghe power outputs whilst meeting emissions.

Bmw and merc used to use secondary airpumps to blast air into the exhaust system to thin the gasses out.

Stop start was introduced for the same thing as all emissions test regs were “with foot on the brake”.

Unless bikes start going the same way we’re going to be back to the days of the 30kg exhaust system, forcing oem’s to start using exotic materials like ti as the japanese do to counter them.

The battle the bike industry will have is twofold, the current fashion for jumping through tens of hoops to just get a licence as opposed to car drivers and the sheer cost of initial purchase of anything more than a scooter.

It will become harder and harder to keep costs down since bikes are not essential transport now, with a Ka or a 500 you sell them by the bucket load.
    Not so with bikes, not anymore in britain or mainland europe anyrate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Not sure if its true (and i think someone else did say) that the stock exhaust will have to stay on for it to get through the MOT going forward? This, i would say, for me (the whole Euro 3,4,5 and beyond thing) is why i think (to a certain extent im now sticking with my current bike ownership). All of mine are blissfully free of electronics, all have full systems and all have visited CJS's dyno.....the only thing i could say was if money was no object then a 1299 or newer RSV4 (than mine) would be the only thing id be looking at...

6. Bmw and merc used to use secondary airpumps to blast air into the exhaust system to thin the gasses out.
    thanks for the reminder. one of the lads asked, why pump air into the exhaust#. i didnt have an answer. i do now. :upyeah:
    This system further lowers the HC and CO values during the cold start phase when the catalytic converter is not yet active.
    A conversion rate of over 90 percent is achieved using a 3-way catalytic converter in stoichiometrically operated gasoline engines. On average, up to 80 percent of the emissions of a driving cycle are emitted during a cold start. However, because the catalytic converter only works effectively from temperatures of approx. 300°C – 350°C, the emissions must be lowered during the cold start phase using different measures. This is the task of the secondary air system.
    If there is sufficient residual oxygen in the exhaust system and the temperature is high enough, the HC and CO react in a secondary reaction to form CO2 and H2O.
    To ensure there is enough oxygen for the reaction during the cold start phase, when the mixture is very rich, air is added to the exhaust flow. For vehicles with a three-way catalytic converter and a lambda control, the secondary air system is switched off after approx. 100 seconds. The operating temperature of the catalytic converter is quickly reached through the heat generated in the secondary reaction.
    The secondary air can be supplied actively or passively. In the passive system, fluctuations in pressure in the exhaust system are utilised. Additional air is drawn in via a timed valve due to the vacuum created through the flow speed in the exhaust pipe. In an active system, the secondary air is blown in by a pump. This system allows better control.
    emission laws save lives. suck it up. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information