1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro Touring During The Fake Plague

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Siddo, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Now's the time to go. So been to Poitiers, Oradour Sur Glane, Jaca and now in Roses. Great rides so far and no traffic whatsover.
    Off to Provence Weds for2 nights, the Italian lakes for 3, Bavaria for 3 nights and finish off with 2 in Monschau.
    Plague Masks should packed for when you are mooching about.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm sure most touring bikers wear neck tubes that will do the trick

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Don't let the plague police hear you call it "fake" or they will quarantine you for a few months....lol...

4. I have used the neck tube but been tugged twice Spain. Once at Petrol station and I had to use the out of hours device point to pay, no hardship. Hotel guy gave me a free single ply fake plague mask, which is less efficient than my doubled over neck tube.

5. Sounds terrific unless you have to return to the UK. In that case you will have to quarantine for 14 days :sweat:

I would be happy if I could just stock up on duty free from Belgium before we leave the EU but France and Belgium are both on the quarantine list. :worried:

#5 DonaldDuc, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  6. Is that you Dominic?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Yeah, I'll be cast in to the void for heresy.

8. Quarantine starts from when I leave France. Which means I have 4 days working from home before I can go out. As a home worker, this works well for me.

9. OK, I see but won't you need to go through France to get back?

10. You can go through France, as long as you don't stop. There are no checks in place by the French. Their post at Eurotunnel was deserted. The French hosts are not interested in imposing any restrictions. It's a great time to visit for riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Was supposed to leave for Corsica this Saturday but had to cancel. Can't do the 14 days quarantine on return; work contract clash, dog walking twice a day for 2 weeks quarantine on top of boarding whilst away, travel insurance invalid and house purchase completion in absentia was all too much.

Brittany Ferries allowed a no-cost deferral to September 2021, hotels all were OK with refund (despite their policy) in one case and cancellation of booking in another. Just hope that they're still there next year for me to reward them for their understanding, have told them my plans and intention to use them for 2021.

Corsica Ferries allowed deferral but imposed €30 each way surcharge. Have sent an email as this is all via their on-line system, they may have an exception for those who have a valid reason, though they may not see it that way. €60 isn't a bad price to pay to delay everything until next year, I was expecting worse to be honest, and there is no viable alternative to show my displeasure anyway.

So, I now have another pre-made tour for next year to add to the Swiss group tour I'm helping to organise in June that was also cancelled this summer.

My 2020 annual travel insurance policy was a total waste of money.... So many plans thwarted. Hoping that 2021 is more viable for crossing to Europe, what could possibly go wrong...

12. Just back from Alps, via various national parks. Superb.
    Would say that roads around some parts of Alps were busy. St Bernard passes much more people than I remember a few years back. Elsewhere though, great. Ardeche enroute was bril with more fab roads, just avoid Pont d’Arc...teaming with tourist morons..sans masque! despite being several feet away from hundreds of other folks.
    It is always better to avoid school hols though. Which we could not this time. August can be a bit hot too...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gotta say it has been brilliant. Apart from one day when it rained more than you could imagine it could. I can count on one hand the English number plates I have seen. All through France, Spain, Italy and now Germany it has been brilliant.

14. I find that normal in recent years, even before lockdown.

15. Seen one Uk registration in Spain here in Torrevieja other than the ones off the boat...it is fantastic driving over here up to press

I’m heading north tomorrow even round madrid is a breeze

16. We still walk around the streets in masks here
    It’s strict I’m not sure why Uk isn’t doing it

17. Been thinking about this....I'll be WFH rest of the year anyway (or a few days here and there on the office), and trying to work out of I could head out to Spain for a month, work there, quarantine when I get back won't matter as I'm wfh!

If I were retired I'd be out on the continent!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information