1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurotunnel Virgin

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Nik the greek, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Very accommodating, the chunnel mob; I even turned up on the wrong day (thanks to a mate crashing) and there were no issues or surcharges. Just ride on, have a natter, synchronize watches, etc, then ride off into the continong. Enjoy the holiday.

• Like Like x 1

2. I was split up from my friends due to a customs fracas and the chunnel mob were brilliant. Highly recommended.

3. Have a nice time!

4. Well, I was just going to ask about tie downs being a Eurotunnel virgin. I guess I no longer need to. :) :upyeah:

5. Chunnel is better than ferry, but a lot more expensive. No chance of making a huge mess on the diesel covered decks as well. There are windows, so you can see the fish.

Tyne Cot is the largest of the cemeteries and is near Ypres (make sure you know where it is as not the easiest to find), so close to other WW1 bits of interest such as the trench museum.

6. Getting increasingly more problematic IMHO. Try to avoid the key times like Friday and Sunday if you can. Coming home be ready for a big wait as these can happen especially in the holiday times

7. Drove over a few weeks back. Didn’t even have time to get some shut eye as it’s that quick. Probably just enough time to read your bikes instruction manual, attempt to change the clock and speedo, then give up and not bother.

Don’t forget to change your tyre pressures to French units ;)

8. Monday morning going out :) Friday morning heading back :(

9. Already done it, also converted my bike to LH throttle and RH clutch. :) :upyeah:

Bought this for my screen, until I realised I could change the speedo to km/h in the dash settings. Doh! o_O

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 12.22.37.png

10. The only fault I can find when travelling by bike on the Shuttle is that they insist that you park your bike with the front wheel against the left "kerb" (ie side stand facing to rear of train. I'd of thought that this is riskier than the other way around (front wheel to the right kerb, sidestand side to the front/direction of travel) as there is the potential for the bike to topple away from the sidestand under heavy train braking, whereas the force will run down the side stand when parked the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The bikes are the last to go on the train.
    Stick it in 1st gear and sideways to the cars.

You can just sit on the floor beside the bike.
    It's only a 35 minute train ride.

20180820_200951.jpg

20180820_203430.jpg

12. As others have said; a doddle and the quickest and easiest way to cross the channel.

Plus if time is tight or you want to get a move on; as soon as you're through the first ticket barrier off the M20 you're directed around to the left and have to pointlessly wend your way around the terminal building and car park. There are barriered breaks in the dual carriageway that will, un officially, allow a bike to shortcut this and go straight to passport control and customs. Haven't had a problem doing this and getting an earlier train than the one allocated when checking in at the automated checking in machine (have your booking number handy to key into the machine as you arrive).

Last time through my mate on his 996 got pulled over by the police on the far side of passport control. They checked the provenance of his bike and his ID as they suspected it might have been stolen and he was riding it one way to get it out of the country. Was quite heartening that they were making this effort really. Not sure what they picked up on? Possibly the desirability of the bike or the fact that he has fairly scruffy old leathers and these maybe being incongruous with such a nice example with just a tail pack on. I got short shrift from the officer when I parked up and went back to find out what the problem was.

13. Just remember though, the key pad's not glove friendly and how do I know this? :p

14. Must have had 14 trips on the tunnel this year in the van generally middle of the night, love it so much less faffing around than the boat and can do some decent quiet miles on either side before rush hours kick in

• Like Like x 1
  15. I bet that can was quiet riding through the train. o_O

16. Clothes line peg; a useful item.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information