1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Been Beaten By A Car?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bluehawk, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Too slow mate ;)

2. I remember soon after I got my first Ducati, an 1199, my first bike over 1000cc, coming from a CBR600. I pulled up to some lights on a dual carriageway just cruising, on a nice warm cloudless day, getting used to the bike and the increase in power....and a Z4 pulled up along side, a guy with his toddlerish age son in look over and hes revving his engine and gives me a thumbs up and his son's all excited...and there's me thinking let's go!..nice long straight ahead...this'll be easy, Z4 vs the 1199!

Anyway the lights change, he floors it, and I launch the bike...as I was already used to doing on the CBR600....all I remember seeing then ... was blue..like a light shade of blue.......the car and road had disappeared...at this point I'm confused thinking what the heck is going on.....then I caught a glimpse of a tree top....and soon realised the front of the bike was up and blue I was seeing was the sky!!

Had to immediately shut off the throttle cos I just pooped myself, the front end came down and I could see the road again, and then saw the Z4 over take me... I let him win that one ...
    Must've looked cool to him and his kid though with my front wheel in the air straight off the lights! Realised I needed more time to calibrate the wrist for the change in bike!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I've had two other good runs I can remember...

Cruising back home on the 1199, on the Autobahn, at about 2am. The same 2 hour journey I did most weekends, although not usually that late. The roads were dead, just the odd truck every so often, and I was beginning to get bored and tired thinking I should've left earlier!
    I'm cruising at around 80-90 and in my mirrors I see some xenon headlights approaching fast! The Panigale mirrors are pants and I can't see what it is, so I assume it's police and slow down to about 75ish just to be sure. I can hear it approaching and it's loud! He pulls up alongside me for a few seconds and I see that its an E63 AMG! He then floors it...game on!!
    I down shift and catch up and overtake after a few seconds and we're both going for it. I had left him for dead though, so I slow down wait for him to catch up and we go again, and I slow again and go again....I realised there was a certain point he couldn't couldn't go past, which was about 155....after that I would always lose him. So I guess his car was still restricted to 160ish mph? Was fun though and soon I was at my exit so it made the time fly too!
    It was that day I realised how hard it was to grip on the bike above 170mph!

The other I remember is soon after I got my 1299, doing the 2 hour journey again but in the opposite direction. This time during the day though! While making progress, I come across a convoy of supercars! A white Audi R8 V10, A white Porsche 997 Turbo S, and a white 997 Turbo S Cab. Looked like a wedding convoy or something. The Porsches looked stunning, my dream cars since I was a kid!
    It's mildy busy so I stay behind them for a while, but then I wanted to make progress so I filtered through past them all and gave the lead Porsche a thumbs up, and soon after it was clear so I was cruising along in the middle lane. I wasn't intending on racing them, but soon after I pass, one of the Turbos undertakes the guy holding up the fast lane and catches up to me. He pulls up alongside me in the fast lane and I hear him drop a gear or two, I look ahead and both our lanes are clear, lets go! We both floor it and I'm ahead and I'm slowly leaving him. However, we had to slow for traffic approaching. After that it was clear again and we both go for it again with similar results. loved hearing the sound of the Porsche at full chat! However, had to slow again for traffic. After that the traffic was too heavy to play anymore safely so I just decided to cruise along and we both gave each other the thumbs up. The other Porsche and R8 also caught up with us and gave me a thumbs up too. Was fun, but shame it wasn't clear enough to play anymore safely.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Good clean fun, hope you're well matey? I'm doing Donington again on the 28th with NL. Finish the run in period :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Haha yes mate I'm good thanks and deffo was fun! Not as fun as a day at Donington though! I'll have a look see if I can make it! Finish the run-in period?! Don't tell me you were below 6k rpm when you over took me last time! :sob:
    :laughing:

6. Ha ha, probably not no. Just keeping it out the red and off the limiter... Talking like I know what I'm doing- haven't a fekkin clue to be honest :laughing:

7. I agree, but many a car would kept a bike in check down a twisty road, I know it’s not a ‘sports’ car in the traditional sense but I love the look and idea of the new Merc E63 AMG S- a 612Bhp AWD saloon car, I’d love one of those badged up as a E250d!.

I think if I had the money for a quick car I’d honestly throw my money at the new,forthcoming TVR, I had a Tuscan in the past and just love how they look, for everyday usability though you couldn’t beat a 911!, I’m actually also driving a 4x4 turbocharged Porsche at the moment, except mine is a fair bit slower than yours, although it would be better off road :p, great car, really solid and handles so well for what it is, only downside is 14 MPG :astonished:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Haha I know what you mean I was in the same boat! ..i definitely weren't under 6k rpm whilst going up against the 911 Turbo S! Probably would've been a different story then!

• Like Like x 1
  9. The semi detached house sized hyper cars ( E63 / RS6 avant et al) sound great in theory. Problem is weight ( and turbo lag/non linear power delivery).

A quick left to right flick on these cars with loads of electronic intervention is a little underwhelming IMO.

For the hero’s that think they are great drivers ( and undoubtedly I accept there genuinely some), switch off all driver aids and drive one of these cars very hard in damp conditions.

On very twisty B’s , they are awful. If the road surface is remotely poor ( majority of England ) they are even worse.

Dual carriageways, A’s & autobahns yeah , I agree fun. Lots of fun.

10. I’ve not had the pleasure of driving one of the newer AWD ones, had a good drive of an E55 a few years ago and it handled like a boat!.
    I think what appeals about these sort of cars is their performance and usability I fully agree with you about the electronics making hero’s out of people though, that’s one thing I loved about having a TVR, no help and bite it would, but was a great experience and really sharpened my driving.

I think if I had a lottery win my 2 cars would in honesty be a top end 911 and a top end Range Rover (in any colour but black)

Would love a go in an E63/RS7 though although I guess like you say it must feel a bit detached.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Top end 911 I agree, not feeling the Wayne Rover though, way too many my way & yeah they are all black.

My mate has just bought an overfinch full fat range in white, I’m genuinely embarrassed when he pulls up outside.

He’s had quite a lot of high end stuff but his last 4 cars have been the RR. Loves them.

Personal choice, but for me, cars have taken a back step since I’ve got into bikes.
    Digressing from the thread completely, the danger aspect of bikes is really playing on my mind at the moment.
    Sounds a bit crazy, but would be happy to fall out of love with bikes.
    Particularly superbikes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think with Range Rovers it really comes down to the actual car, one in blue or grey without huge wheels or privacy glass looks good, I like the Discovery just as much though and it has less of an image problem, of course when they finally get around to redesigning it is have a Landcruiser over either!.

I sometimes get similar thoughts with the danger thing of biking I find a bit of time off and I’m really excited to get back on one though!.

13. The RR's are lovely to drive but fekkin fall apart after 3 years! We have a Macan GTS (mainly wife's car, I've got a van as a daily...) and it's brilliant. A bit smaller than a RR but the handling is astonishing for a big bus... It can shift too, not mind blowing but impressive all the same.

14. I'm a big fan of those Macans. Nice proportions and quality interiors. How's the build quality?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Can't fault it tbh... The white/cream leather is a bit too P. Diddy for me but my wife specced it. Lovely car.

IMG_1143[1].JPG IMG_1148[1].JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Are the new RRs still as bad then?, I’ve had a 2005 Sport which was awful and constantly went wrong and a 2007 Vogue which was ok to be fair to it, currently got a 2007 Cayenne Turbo and the build quality,handling and performance is a cut above LRs offerings of a similar era.
    Your wife’s Macan looks like a really nice car :upyeah:.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I know 2 lads that run RR's, fairly new models, and they both have stories of woe. I remember the gearbox was a weak point some years ago. My mate had to bite the bullet and fit a reconditioned for unit for 4k... ouch.

Probably stick with the Macan for now. Mrs loves it and to be fair it's a good all rounder. It's a bit thirsty but hey ho...

18. Not bike related but still......mucho years ago i had a honda crx 1.5 12 valve, a tiny light wee rocket ship go cart sized toy, anyhows one summer sunday on a norn ireland twisty coast road i tried unsuccessful to pass an old ford anglia with suspiciously over wide wheels and a rather raspy sounding exhaust , just visible through the rear window was a roll cage............lots of spirited fun ensued and i didnt manage to pass it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. That is really stupid behaviour. Get on the race track then we can see how brave you really are.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information