1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Been Low Balled With A P/x Valuation By Ducati Main Dealer?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by cozmo1589, Mar 1, 2019.

1. It’s all relative, get money knocked of the new one you’ll get knocked on the px. Pay full on the new one they’ll give you a fantastic px as above its business. It also depends on the amount they have registered against target and new reg bonus. You buy at the right time may be worth them losing a couple of quid to achieve a rebate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I agree that they are mustard in regard to servicing, my gripe that is out of 4 dealers Moto Rapido gave me an insulting p/x valuation whereas the other 3 offered near identical, more realistic prices. You like to think they would like to sell you a bike and at least offer me book price but to give me a stupid figure is just insulting and turned me away to go buy elsewhere which I now have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I agree that a cost to change is what you should focus on but they wanted full retail price, no deal on extras and took the Mickey with p/x which is in my book is totally taking the piss. Shall still go there for servicing but never will I ever buy a bike from them. 4 times I've approached and 4 times they have forced me to go further afield shopping. Their loss, someone else's gain

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I went to Ducati Cambridge to test ride a Scarmbler 1100 after booking the test and indicating I was interested to buy their demo. Only once there they informed me that the advertised demo could not be sold until March 2019. Then they proceeded to give me such a ridiculously low evaluation of the my Icon that I decided to never go back there.
    I ended up buying a M821 (ex demo) from Ducati Manchester (I live in London):top class service!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moto offered me about £1500 less for an 899 than I achieved at another local dealer
    That’s why I now have a Triumph, not a
    Ducati!

6. fwiw, I felt I got a fair price for my MV Agusta F3 from Ducati Cambridge (Harston) when trading in for a 959 Corse.

• Like Like x 1
  7. And that's why I use Ducati Manchester. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. We all probably expect more than a dealer is willing to pay. There's a trade off on px with convenience of not having the hassle of a private sale weighed against loosing a bit on the price. My MV went from £15k to £6k in about 30 months, not good. WeBuyAnyBike offered me about £50 more than DMC but I know they have a tendancy to beat down the price once they take the bike away and anyway I would have had to get the train to Stoke to collect the 1260, cost and inconvenience again. Loosing £9k over that period was a bitter pill to Swallow, no one else wanted the bike. It was in great condition although admittedly 18k miles and in need of a service. I have no illusions over depreciation, had I had the garage space I would have kept the MV.

• Like Like x 2
  9. My first time with Ducati Manchester and I was super pleased. Martin sent me a video of the bike 5 min after my phone call, dealt with all my questions promptly, and got my bike delivered in London very quickly.
    He also gave me a Ducati Corse t-shirt as a gift. Nice touch!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think I was sat at his desk when he was talking to you on the phone.

11. I've always felt I've been well and truly screwed every time I buy a new bike or car.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If that is how it makes you feel perhaps you should stop doing it ?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maybe he likes a good screw :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. But there's nothing like taking delivery of a new bike or car......
    Let me bend over..................

15. Whatever scratches your itch my friend. I hate depreciation so prefer to buy bikes & cars that are a few years old when the prices have stopped dropping.

16. Dealers do offer an ease of purchase and the comfort of guarantee most of the time, they have to make a profit somewhere to cover overheads be it on the trade in or margin on the new bike, they would make more margin on servicing/parts and clothing overall but they blend all toghether to hit P&L in otherwords standard business practice. If anyone is insulting on PX the choice is always simple go somewhere else as you have done and although shortsighted they lose much more than the bike sale long term but often with staff fast turnover and a non family business the sales team arent bothered on long term

17. Why did you not just keep it? What is this need/desire to change bikes every fifteen minutes?

18. I remember going to a bike shop looking for bike gear for myself and the girlfriend at the time. The sales assistant said "would you like a crash helmet for your girlfriend?" apparently saying, it seems a fair swap, is not what the g/f wanted to hear, I realised this later when she used teeth

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Previous bike I bought used and kept for 7 years. The MV wasn't, on reflection, a great buying decision. I was going for a Multistrada DVT at the time but my nearest dealer, some 50 miles away, really cocked things up at the test ride stage and lost my trust in their commitment to me as a potential customer. Tried the MV with a dealer less than 20 miles away purely out of curiosity. His attitude and the bike, which was fantastic as a solo ride, won me over. Two years and a few months later and some issues with the bike now out of warranty and local dealer having gone bust. Slow factory support and spares availability through a diminished dealer network. New girlfriend who's keen to tour with me; whilst the MV did a good job solo it's not great as a long distance two up ride with limited luggage capacity, tight fit for two and the fine handling IMHO too 'knife edge' for two up. Can't see any reason to change the 1260 for the foreseeable future. Keeping the MV alongside the Mutley wouldn't have made much sense as they're too close in concept plus I don't currently have a garage let along the garage space.

Buying a new bike every couple of years certainly isn't my MO though quite why you question the path I choose of my own free will? What time frame do you think is reasonable to retain a bike? Surely this is up to the individual and their circumstances... Someone has to feed the 2nd hand market :rolleyes:

20. Fair enough, nice and concise answer. I cannot argue with any of that, particularly the girlfriend bit as they do tend to get their own way!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information