1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Exhaust Diference

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Swamparse, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Hi Guys and Girls,
    Just bought a 07' 749 dark and looking to get a new sound for it.
    It currently has the standard exhaust on it, sooo
    1. apart from the Termignoni are there any others to look out for?
    2. does a 999 termignoni system fit a 749?
    3. Can I just fit a termignoni silencer and not the full system, would it make a difference?
    Thanks in advance

2. Decat it with an angle grinder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. 1. Spark and the other one I forget.
    2. 749 is shallow sump so, yes, 999 systems fit but only shallow sump. Also, depends on if you have a grey or black swingarm.
    3. Dunno. Only know about full systems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dewalt-angle-grinders-dwe402w-64_1000.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Spark are cool though

• Like Like x 1
  6. Black swing arm

7. Where's the cat... I'm on it

Screenshot_20190415-123628_Google.jpg

8. Black swing arm

9. Hi Swamparse!

I have bought a Termi for my 749 recently, let’s see if I can help you:

1. Apart from the Termignoni you have Leo Vince, Spark, Zard, Sil Motor, Remus, HPE and maybe another one I don’t remember now. If you don’t want a Termi, I’ll start looking for Spark and Zard. For me they are the best looking ones. I have read good things about Leo Vince too.

2. Does a 999 termignoni system fit a 749? Depending on the Termi system. I’m not going to give you the most accurate description but a first approach to know how to start your search. We can first divide them into symmetrical (full system) or asymmetrical. Asymmetric systems works on both without any problem (despite shallow or deep sumps, grey or black swingarm). Consists in the vertical decat collector and the muffler. This muffler fits the OEM exhaust.

The problem comes with the full system, as the lower colector has to avoid the lower part of the engine (different in deep an shallow sumps) and then the swingarm. Here we can find the 57mm for deep sump (theoretically only valid for 999 as 57mm is said to be too big for the 749 engine, but it fits in the 749). Not sure if it’s valid for both swingarms or only for the grey one. Then we have 57mm for black swingarm (And almost sure for shallow sump) and 54 mm for black swingarm and shallow sump (749). Those are commonly known as “banana” ones because of their shape in the swingarm area. You can find those systems in steel or titanium. 54mm symmetrical system is not easy to find.

3. Can I just fit a termignoni silencer and not the full system, would it make a difference? You can only fit the asymmetrical silencer with the OEM collectors. The full system silencer is different and won’t fit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Incorrect. The horizontal header pipe is different for deep and shallow sumps.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Had the Leo Vince on my 999s, sounded and looked amazing.. Hard to find now obviously, although there is a full system on eBay at the moment but not sure if it will fit a 749...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Didn’t knew this. Thanks for the correction

• Like Like x 2
  13. Remember there at least 3 Termi systems

Asymmetrical
    54mm
    57mm

• Like Like x 1
  14. .... FFS!

15. I have had all 3 and they are very different.

• Like Like x 1
  16. So I need to take the exhaust apart to find the diameter.... can't I just get a slip on termignoni can?!

17. In a word no.

The asymmetric Termi comes with a new pipe to the horizontal cylinder. This has a cat in it. Sounds better, doesn’t add any power.

The 54mm and 57mm are both full systems. I had the 54mm and the asymmetric on my grey cast swing arm 749. The 54mm removes pretty much all engine braking. But it revs more freely. This may or may not be compatible with the black swing arm you have. Adds more power but loses engine braking. Have to use the Revs much more.

On my 749R I have the 57mm banana pipe with titanium End can. Some end cans were steel. Gives torque and power, on an R anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Also, apart from getting it to sound like it should, the 749 really benefits from having the suspension set up properly for you.

And when you change the chain and sprocket, go to +4 above stock on the rear. Think that makes it 42 tooth

• Like Like x 1
  19. I need it set up, I bought it off a short arse, I'm 6ft and my heels feel like they're touching my ass! It's like riding a 400! It has got an adjuster bar thing instead of the standard solid bar thing next to the rear spring thing so I will have a fettle with that the weekend!
    But as with the exhaust I can't see anything to it resembling having a cat on it.
    About engine braking this bike doesn't seem to have any, my triumph triple shit loads!
    Also, I do like the sound of the open/dry clutch business, is it worth having it vs the cost of having it done, sorry to sound stupid obviously I'm a noob to dukes, so you might find I ask stupid questions! I do appreciate your help.

20. I just want it to sound nice can't afford the full system (for a while).. fucking Disneyland has taken the additional pennies!
    It sounds like a 4stroke lawn mower with the standard exhaust!!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information