1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 S Exhaust Valve Removal

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MotoNik, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Just received a Vizi Tec DUC.EE exhaust valve eliminator through the post from the States. Has anyone fitted one? I had one on my Multistrada and found it to be an improvement. I'll probably wait until it's run-in before I fit it.

Not looking forward to trying to remove the servo, it seems rather buried! Does anyone know of any online manuals or diagrams for how everything fits together?

2. Think you're The First to try this - I'll be interested to understand what differences it actually makes though when removed.

3. I fitted one to my 848 about a year ago and wrote a blog post with pictures, it does make a difference but not a huge difference. I would fit one to any future bike that I buy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I fitted one on my previous bike - Multistrada 1200. The Monster exhibits the same characteristics that I was able to cure on the Multi. Namely that you may have noticed as you are slowing down to come to a stop the bike appears to almost surge forward, as though the revs have been cut, like you're pulling it in to neutral and removing the engine braking. This is caused by the valve. It should also allow for a slight improvement in revving the engine, and a very slight increase in volume.

I might see about fitting the device this week. Slightly dreading it, as the servo is hidden inside the stupid box of tricks below the battery. It'll likely be a total pain!

5. I just fitted one to my Dvt, but to iliminate the engine management light, due to me fitting a decat pipe
    Search for '1200 Dvt decat pipe'
    There should be some helpful info on that thread for you
    Edit- Are you talking about the Monster ?

#5 Steve m, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  6. Yes, I fitted one on my Multistrada, but in this instance I'm talking about fitting one on a 1200 Monster.

7. Fitted the little DUC.EE device this evening. Slightly fiddly, but way easier than the one I fitted on my Multistrada. Took me maybe an hour. Process (roughly):

1. Remove the small cover over the exhaust valve, turn the valve and unhook the cable. Remove the cable clip to free the cable.
    2. Remove the heat shield from the battery box - makes it easier to access the cable tie that holds the cable in place.
    3. Undo the cover that holds in the Reg/Rec and remove. Unplug and remove the Reg/Rec. Open the bottom of the battery box (insert an allen key in to the hole on the left side to stop the battery sliding down.
    4. You can now access the servo. It's held in with two pozidriv self tappers, which are easy enough to undo. The servo can now be pulled out.
    5. Undo the connector - remember that it has two clips which need unlatching - one on each side of the connector body.
    6. Next up, plug in the DUC.EE. I cable tied it to one of the posts that the servo mounts on.
    Then just put everything back together. It really is pretty easy, as long as you don't mind grovelling around on the floor under your bike. Unless you're posh and you've got some sort of bike lift!

I've had a couple of people mention that the bike doesn't seem to mind if you just unplug the servo, so maybe the DUC.EE thing was a waste of time. I must be honest, I didn't try it just unplugged, so I can't say.

So far I've only started the bike to ensure it all works. I'll ride it to work tomorrow. I'm not expecting a massive difference - it was fairly subtle on the Multistrada but worthwhile - I think this will be the same. My bike actually sounds pretty excellent at idle already anyway! Can't believe how great it sounds on the standard exhaust.

8. What's the verdict?

9. Not a massive difference. Slightly reduces the tendency for the bike to surge as you're slowing down to stop. Made my multistrada a bit louder, but as the monster is fairly loud anyway it's probably not noticeable. You could just unplug the servo and try it...

10. Thanks guys for the input.
    For me, I don't really care about the difference in DB's in that narrow RPM range.
    I just want to know if keeping the valve open adds or detracts power without any other changes to the stock fuel map

11. Can’t you just disconnect the servo and leave it there?

12. Absolutely but you'll get the CE to light-up. It's also a pain to remove for the little space and weight it takes and has.
    I bought one of the Viz-Tec dongles which I will install on the Multistrada in the spring.
    The Monster's ECU has been flashed by Rexxer to disable both the servo and the CE. In fact, I actually removed the flap with a dremel and a drill.

13. Surely not if you plug the ducee in as it is the bypass.

14. Yes of course. Thats what the ducee does . Cant wait to see the difference on a stock multi with and without the servo.

15. Erm....I don’t disagree, must’ve accidentally hit the disagree button, sorry.

16. Ah. No problem. Fortunately, this forum allows us to clean-up and delete unwanted posts.
    Deleting my question now.

17. I noticed the surge on my 1200R from the get go, it's noticeable from around 3.5k revs. I have the Termi shotguns fitted and this disables the servo but still notice the surge.

18. I had the servo exhaust valve disabled with a Rexxer flash. Notwithstanding, and this may be or may not be relevant.
    I physically removed the flap (just before Christmas). Prior to its removal, I felt the pulsation of each cylinder at idle from a sightly different angle (hand behind the exhaust).
    In other words, the gases of each cylinder flow out of the silencer at different angles perhaps as a result of the flap acting as a wing causing turbulence.
    I have not noticed this pulsation once the flap removed. Quite noticeably smoother actually.
    I have not had an opportunity to ride the bike since I removed the valve flap and will only ride once the snow is gone. Therefore YMMV.
    20200211_165337.jpg

#18 DarR, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  19. I'll be interested to read your appraisal when the weather permits.

20. Will do. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information