1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 S Exhaust Valve Removal

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MotoNik, Jun 22, 2016.

1. So I am curious DarR, could you provide some details as to how you physically removed the valve flap in the exhaust? :)

2. Sure.
    Once you remove the silencer, the flap is readily accessible.
    There's two screws holding the flap fastened to the valve axle.
    All I did was use a Dremel Tool with a round blade to cut-off the screw heads. Only the axle remains.
    The whole process took me about 30 minutes and that includes removing and reinstalling the silencer.

After writing the above, i noticed that you don't have a Monster but a Multistrada.
    The process is the same but I would stuff a rag behind the valve to prevent the valve from falling into the catbox once it's removed. It would be a royal pain to fish it out. if it did fall in.
    FYI, for my Multi, I used a ducc-ee servo eliminator.

#22 DarR, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I did the same.

4. Hi My engine light came on (Multistrada 1260s 2018). The fault is the exhaust valve. The bike runs fine and the light has stayed on.
    I have purchased a Exhaust servo eliminator module, once fitted will i need to have the unit reset to turn the light off and do i need to remove the valve as i understand in should stay open.

5. The light should go off once the eliminator is fitted as the bike will think the exhaust valve is working as it should.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the valve, as it's default position is open, unless it's stuck in the closed position, which is unlikely. If you remove the silencer you can then see the valve and check for yourself it's open.

6. Hi After a ride to Wales about 20miles into ride the light did go off and stay off, so thanks for the info.
    On another note is it common for the 1260s to use oil, about half a litre every 1000 miles ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi After a ride to Wales about 20miles into ride the light did go off and stay off, so thanks for the info.
    On another note is it common for the 1260s to use oil, about half a litre every 1000 miles ?

8. Yes and no. Sorry for the confusing reply. There are a couple of people I know ride 1260 Multis and one (@Hugo Magnus ) does have to top up frequently, the other doesn’t. In fact the other (he’s not on here) just completed a 4000km European tour immediately after his bike was serviced and didn’t have to add a drop of oil. Both bikes have a similar mileage under their belts.

9. Thanks @West Cork Paul ,
    Nobody will want to buy my bike now. It's a good job that I have no intention of selling it.
    Oil consumption is related to how much of a thrashing the bike gets. When following Paul, with a pillion and luggage.....

#29 Hugo Magnus, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ahh, you’re not alone Hugo, a couple of the lads in the Ducati Owners Ireland group have 1260s that need oil.
    I suspect the one I serviced that just did the 4000km trans European trip is the anomaly. His had 39,000km on it, now c.44k and he’s still running the original factory chain which was still within its stretch limit.
    it was one very well maintained bike.

11. Wow! that's over 27,000 miles .
    Mine is well maintained (but badly ridden?) I'm on my fourth chain. 42,500 miles. I've only done 2,000 since the Ireland tour.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information