1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Exhaust Valve Seized

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Blairso, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Took my 1260S out for a post winter ride to make sure all was well, stopped for fuel and the Engine warning light came on when I restarted it. Checked the exhaust valve when I got home and it was very sticky in operation. The bike's in for its first annual service next week, I don't want the valve fixing, as it's a known failure point, I've disconnected it, to make sure it stays open, I have a Ducee from my 2015 1200DVT and wondered if anyone knows if this will fit the 1260. I'll get the dealer to fit it next week if it is, I would fit it myself, but the connector is in a different place on the 1260, buried further down, and I can't easily reach it.

2. If its stuck or faulty shouldn't it be replaced under warranty

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes of course you're right, if it was going to be replaced by an improved component that cured the problem I would do it, but it won't, and will just happen again in the future. So I would rather just get rid of the problem altogether. Which is why I asked if the Ducee fron my 2015 DVT will fit the 1260.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I've heard they no longer change them under warranty (unless you make a big fuss).

5. Would dealer be willing to do the disconnect and fitting of the eliminator instead of repeatedly being asked to fix a seized valve? I somehow doubt it as they would be making themselves liable for any non standard bike issues... Anyone asked their dealer to do this?

6. The Ducee from the 15 DVT will fit, I fitted my old one to my 1260

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. My dealer removed the exhaust flap with no qualms whilst the bike was still under warranty.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thanks for that, did you find the connector is in a slightly different place?

9. Yes but its still possible to get to

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Sorted, thanks for the info dddd

11. No problem
    Let me know if you feel any change in engine response, now that its always open

12. My mate had the valve removed at the first service he'd had problems on his 2 previous Multistradas look at it as preventative maintenance
    I did the same on my DVT the valve has nothing to do with performance it just to control noise I can't say I noticed any difference

13. I found mine just popped and banged a bit more (in a nice way)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I think it's down to your dealer.

15. They're junk I had 3 on my 1200 the last stuck within 6 months they wouldn't replace it as the bike was out of warranty. Its another of Ducati's poor quality issues along with casing corroding. They really need to up their game if the want to compete with the rest of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The real pisser is Ducati have known about this issue for years it's poor design and done nothing about it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Their crap and a waste of time. only made for noise regulations that don't apply in this country.

18. At least you can get at it on the Mutley's. In BMW's infinite wisdom their floppy valve doofer on the water cooled GS's is built in to the zorst. So if it fails a new exhaust (£1200) is needed to cure it. Or gas axe it/Dremmel the bugger out and re weld the pipe up.

19. It's strange as I had a BMW rt with the exhaust flap. I've never heard of one seizing or being replaced. Non issue. My dvt has one and at 20k miles no problems, but I don't ride in crap weather unless on a trip and have to. I've also connected/disconnected mine and other than a bit more exhaust noise I can't tell any difference in performance.

20. My GS has done 31,000 miles and has not had an issue with the flappy valve; yet. Just jinxed it now haven't I? :( My 1200ST Mutley had no problems either and that racked up nearly the same mileage. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information