1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust valve & servo motor info and warning....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AndyW, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Maintenance for stock bikes and a warning that applies even if you've ditched the stock exhaust for an after-market system (full Termi system owners need read no further;-)

Maintenance tip! - Multistrada 1200 standard OE exhaust system butterfly valve
    The exhaust valve behind the heat shield between the CAT box and silencer is purely a 'noise control' system and not a performance related system like EXUP valves / power valve. However that said if the valve is not operating correctly (the external mechanism can seize / partially seize due to dirt/corrosion/lack of lubrication resulting in the valve remaining closed or failing to fully open;-) your bike will run 'rough'! Dependent on the level of inoperation you may get an EXVL error show up on the dash display.
    Regularly check that the mechanism operates freely and that there is not excessive free play in the cable that operates the valve. Use an old paint brush or similar to clear any dirt that has accumulated in the spring mech and spray with ACF50 or WD40.

Correct operation of the valve mech:

Warning:
    A seized valve mech or over tight cable can cause failure of the servo motor that operates the valve. If you have a full after-market exhaust system (i.e. the collector / CAT box replaced with a 'bypass' pipe) such as MIVV, Arrow etc you can still end up with a failed exhaust valve servo motor!

Replacement under warranty on failure should be no problem although Dealers may refuse if you have an after-market system installed. I doubt the cable clamp/bracket/sprung 'thingy' used in place of the valve mech by Arrow and the likes could 'stress' the servo gears any more than a ceased exhaust valve but Dealers could use the non OE exhaust system as a reason not to uphold a warranty claim?

[​IMG]

593.4.039.1A now 593.4.039.2A apparently.

#1 AndyW, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  2. I just finished removing the De-cat and reinstalling the dustbin (The noise was too much after the Mivv packed in and running it with stock pipes + BR baffle) I did not re-attach the the EXVL though and the bike is running better now, more midrange .
    If anyone wants to buy a De-cat pipe let me know!

3. I guess you removed the butterfly from the exhaust pipe?.....and don't you have a permanent EXVL error on the dash?

4. Hi Pumpman
    I am interested and have sent you a PM

5. No Andy, I just left the butterfly v/v in place as it remains in an open position when the servo motor is disconnected and i have left the By-pass spring thing on the cable so no EXVL error!

6. Hi Pumpman,
    Are u sticking with the stock exhaust, if not which system you goin 4?

Thanks Nigel

7. I'll stick to my Termi system, so much less hassle. :cool:

8. Yeh Nigel , The stock is back on .. sounds shite but runs well !

9. Ok, daft question time. Is there an easy way of getting in and cleaning the exhaust valve so you don't get the problem?

To be fair I don't do much other than a clean on the bike but if it's an issue I'll make the effort to clean and lube as necessary. (reading that again it looks a bit weird, but you know what I mean)

10. Clive, it's just a case of removing the exhaust shield/cover plate (part 31....held by 3 or is it 4 Allen bolts)...

[​IMG]

...and spraying the valve return spring and mech with WD40 and using a stiff brush to clean all the dirt out.

[​IMG]

Spray again with WD40, wipe off excess and all should be fine. Check there's not excessive slack in the servo cable also and adjust if necessary.

11. Folks get rid of this valve...it is a disaster and a cause (I believe) of the rough running and surging at low rpm....

• Disagree Disagree x 1

12. Beware! ....... By permanently disconnecting the cable, the valve never moves and sooner or later (sooner) it will sieze solid. Save yourself a load of future grief and connect it back up. - You'll still keep the midrange. :upyeah:

13. Or better still...

Refit the cable and remove the flap inside the exhaust
    That way everything works as it should, no warning lights on, nothing to stick and go wrong, and a better running bike!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guys.....
    Had trouble with mine after just a couple of months took it in dealer they said would try to free it up ...by the time I got back home it was playing up again ...on the phone again and pics were sent... IMAG2194.jpg IMAG2194.jpg IMAG2200.jpg
    Bad hey? the nipple had rusted solid what a state after a couple of months.
    Of course I didn't know what was going on under there..... so having sent the pics they were supposed to get onto Ducati, however I doubt they did...instead telling me they would spent some time on it to really "free it up" and if they couldn't ...new exhaust... fuck me off I go again... they spent some time on it.. and It so happened at the time I needed a new set of tyres but they had to order some ,reasonable deal fitted, so save me messing thought I'd return a few days later to have them fitted....fuck me, if not on the way home valve playing up again!... on return to have tyres fitted they put it on diagnostic apparently they can even tell if I've had a fag while riding.....so me and the mrs fuck off for a couple jars
    and on our return....get this!
    "Well we've sorted it Kel it was the valve again...though it wont be giving you any problems anymore."
    "Oh ok fine...have you managed to free it up enough then ?"
    "Well not exactly we've taken it out"
    " Ya what?"
    "Taken it out"
    "Well that's not exactly solving the issue in my book, you said if you can't free it, you'd see about replacing with new exhaust!
    "Well most owners get rid of em...we've done a lot in the passed"
    "Hold on.... I mentioned to you ! a couple of weeks ago about some guys taking them out and you said you weren't sure of the consequences error codes etc that it might throw up.. and you'd NOT done any before..
    " You don't need it Kel... its only there for cutting down noise and emissions doesn't affect performance"
    "that's not the point...its obviously there for a reason...so what about when I come to m.o.t it?
    "Oh well we'll do that for ya"
    "Oh well that's fucking handy ...so if I sell it at some point I'll tell the guy he's got to come here!....Na ...if you'd have rang me and said do you want us to take it out and I agreed...different thing...but you didn't ...you took it upon yourself to take it out...It's a fucking new bike! It's a bit like taking a new car into a dealer with the passenger seat not working....Oh it's only you who drives it we'll taking the fucking thing out!"
    "I'll give Ducati a ring tomorrow and see about getting a new exhaust"
    "Right fine... there's obviously fault with em and Ducati need to be aware of it...there's loads of lads having trouble with em"

Hope I haven't bored you guys with that... but my advise is not to take it upon yourself to remove it cos you'll give them every excuse to invalidate any warranty on it.... the more that complain about the issue the more likely they have to do something to make the parts better... which in the long run should help make our future purchases a better bike all round. When the exhaust works as it should there should be no real noticeable difference in performance...if there is.... then your fucked! cos your valve is sticking at times too and you need to take it in and make them change it....rant over ! New Exhaust on the way !
    WHO SAID THANK FUCK FOR THAT!!!!!!!??

IMAG2200.jpg

#14 Kel, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. :upyeah:Love that film!!

17. Kel I think the dealer actually did you a favour.... see my previous posts....that valve is a load of shite....but they should have checked with you before hand! As you say they cant go ripping out the passenger seat simply because you never have a passenger.
    Surely if the dealer took the valve off and it is noted ( as in stamped in the service booklet) then you should not lose the warranty???

• Like Like x 1
  18. I agree it maybe a load of shite, I'd never heard of such a thing before having this bike, and lets face it if you went for a straight through system it would eliminate the fucking thing all together, which is probably what they hope you'd do (from Ducati of course). My point is that having spent over 15 grand cash hard earned on a bike that you expect to work.... exhaust an all !...the fact that I ride in all weather's at times that may have contributed to it's corrosion or that fast that it gets that hot, is not an excuse for Ducati to use for what can only be described as poor quality materials and lack of engineering thought/testing. Why should I or any of you lads have to contemplate fucking about removing the valve, risk issues with warranty, worry about error messages occurring, if it will pass mot and all that. Many are running around I guess with no issues at all.... but there are it seems a good many with issues... get them to replace it I say... oh and it wouldn't have been noted in the service book..
    So anyway... imagine the scene... I've now got a new exhaust on the way approved by Mussolini and will probably get it fitted next or so....couple of mths or sooner ? and I've still got the same issue...now what? I can hear him say it now..."best thing you can do Kel is have a full Termignoni system fitted"
    Oh is that right I'll say... best thing you can do, is YOU fit a Termignoni.... method in my madness ...there could be a deal to be had at least....we'll see

• Like Like x 1
  19. Just checked mine today after bike hesitated quite an it the other day and was suggested on here to check the valve, well I have and mine is quite rusty very similar to above pics. Wd40 and stiff brush and got it a bit better and freer and put some grease on it so will see how it goes. Did you get yours replaced under warranty?

20. Had mine in for warranty work just after Christmas. (This is a 2014 model, purchased in March, ~7000 miles.)

It had left and right switchgear replaced (indicator was getting stiff, starter button was properly sticking), the exhaust valve control cable replaced (I noticed the outer was corroding when the exhaust was off to get tyres fitted), and, just when they thought they had it ready to give back to me, the mechanic noticed the valve was sticking, but there was no error on the dash... so they had to keep it even longer and get a new cat from Ducati.

Oh, and it's still got the problem with poor throttle response at low revs (in Urban mode), and you can stall it just by blipping the throttle. "It's a characteristic of the bike." "They all do that, sir." Bollocks to that... I wonder when KTM will announce their new SMT...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information