1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Expanding Fuel Tanks?!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by dubcat, Apr 21, 2019.

1. just learned about the expanding fuel tank due to ethanol problem :( Dealer said my tank had expanded a little and deformed a bit.

Feels like a ticking time bomb :( How much are they to replace if they go and how common is it?

2. Just put fuel in with minimal (5%) ethanol in.

3. They all do that Sir, they will relax back slightly but not fully if dried out, a new one will be expensive and do the same unless you use ethanol free petrol all the time. The earlier Nylon tanks marked 'PA' Poly Amide will expand anyway so be careful of new old stock like this new streetfighter tank currently on Ebay: it will already have expanded due to moisture in the air and will expand further very quickly.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...673385?hash=item34073c0529:g:UQQAAOSwUjVcMklh

Best option is to go Alloy of course, second hand around £1000 + paint

• Like Like x 1
  4. I had a fuel tank that expanded then went back to normal shape more than once on my 848

• Like Like x 1
  5. Why not zero? :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was giving him 5% margin

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. So when it expands can you put more fuel in thereby getting greater tank range? ;)

8. Is it normally available at all garages?

9. I guess so

10. No, only one brand :thinkingface:

11. Which one?

12. ‘The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.’

https://www.esso.co.uk/fuels-faqs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cheers

14. The tank on my SF848 has expanded a bit. It started getting very close to the ignitition and making getting the plastic ignitition surround on/off a bit tricky as the holes in the tank no longer lined up with the holes in the surround.

My solution has been to buy a lightly damaged second hand tank for £200 (a new one from Ducati is £1600) that has not expanded. Coat the inside with Casswell Ethanol Resistant Fuel Tank Sealer https://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/fuel-tank-sealing-kits/ Then get the damage repaired.

My old tank can be drained and dried out. If it returns to the correct size I can sell it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information