1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Extract More Torque

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Hey

I have a 2002 Ducati 748s , she is running sweet , 45mm termi, oe ecu, oe air fliters

A remap is a given to get rid of the 5k flat spot but before I go that route any other mods recommended (no point remapping g unless all mods installed

2. 853 kit, sps cams,sps ti rods, full engine blue print :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks
    I would rather put a 999 engine in there, but just looking to work with what I have

As in low budget

4. On a budget, one of the simplest things to do is look at increasing compression, either by looking at the “squish” (reducing the combustion area volume) or fitting a set of high compression pistons. The 45/50mm half race system is a more expensive option but will give you more torque, if you can find the 45/50mm mid section. Writing a new eprom will give you a better spread of gains. Andy

5. blue print the engine you have using all standard parts, make it the best it can be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You can get it up to 748r torque with little mods?

7. Think you have to change the heads as they got bigger valves and more compression on the R.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Though i have to say if you have posted a thread asking about basically drilling out 8 pop rivets to swap the airbox channel catches, then you will have to factor in the cost of paying someone to fit the engine..

9. You need some frame work done to fit the 999 engine

Was more looking for basic bolt on items like exhaust

For example
    Remap, 50 mm termi and X air filter equates to little jump in torque

I don't want to start messing with engine internals or swaps just yet

10. Without investing a lot of money and time you won't gain much. I had my 916 heads gasflowed and CR increased (1mm head skim), I've also invested in bigger exhaust, bigger airbox and intakes, custom remap etc, etc.

I gained about 15hp and corresponding torque but that's on a 916 which is already considerably torquier than a 748 (no replacement for displacement).

IMO the best mod I made was lighter wheels.

But, in reality I could have got a 50% power hike and saved money by trading it for an 1198.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Have to agree.
    The most cost effective and simple way to get more torque has to be to swap the bike for one with a bigger motor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. There's a very beautiful 1198 for sale on here right now :)

13. Thanks good to know!

I think I will eventually just drop a 998 engine in or equivalent , will at least cost it versus buying a 998s

The bike is working fantastic , alot quicker than when I first got her

Was thinking of getting a remap to take out the 5K flat spot but wanted to bolt on the basics , rather than having to remap it again to accommodate

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. Take it to JHP and get them to dyno it.
    Instant power and torque gain just by playing with their felt tip pen and graph paper!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Er ....No! what do you think the 998 was....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sounds like an awful lot of fecking about when you really don’t want a 748 ?

Just sell it and buy a bigger bike - you could swap it for an 848 straight away

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Go up some teeth on the rear sprocket, won’t give you any more torque but will give you a bit of acceleration at the expense of top speed :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. There's not many bolt on items to make you go faster, only internal engine mods can do that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks, all I wanted to know

Great info on here from members, appreciate it!

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information