1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye Opener... Ride Safe

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rapide, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Is this like....A monthly rant ?? :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. blimey.. how do they know which way you're are going then ;)

3. Oh! Are we ranting?! Damn, I was speaking matter of factly. I'll turn it up a notch next time!!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Minnesota has been putting in roundabouts like a plague. Most are the little ones. People still treat them like 4 way stops, it's maddening. I grew up in New Jersey. They always had roundabouts and have since gotten rid of them. Minnesota claims they are safer, guess New Jersey likes to live dangerously.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Crap I forgot... IT'S MADDENING:mad:!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  6. I strongly believe we need more cops out on the roads in unmarked vehicles(or even marked) and possibly slightly higher fines.
    Amazing the amount of people that haven't got a clue how to drive properly and there is no one to check.

Am I mad is proposing to have simplified driving test every 5 years? Just get an instructor or police officer as passenger and drive for 1 hour. After this he could propose further training or just give the go ahead to renew the licence.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes you are bonkers, cause you know in this country, they will use that as an excuse to somehow collect revenue !! Who's gonna pay for this copper or instructor for an hour then ?? Cause I'll be fucked if I'm going to, as I can already drive, and drive very well.

#47 Wayne58, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. ^^^ the Police should have missile equipped attack helicopters, that would sort the buggers!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. What about making the test more stringent and less dated to start with, all this reversing round a corner/ 3 point turn bollox. Stick em on a motorway, and tell em to use the fucking left lane would be a good start !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. And if you are never able to pass do you start riding your bicycle (see the "Why" thread)?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I bet the lady that gave the lift would say "That she can already drive and drive very well" so how would you filter these "good" drivers? Maybe she forgot since passed the test long ago.
    Make no mistake I do not assume you cannot drive/ride.
    £100? every 5 years is not even worth to talk about... 2 packs of fags/per year.

13. refresher courses every 5 years? a licence is a privilege, not a right.

I passed a camera van at 90 yesterday. oops.

14. Doesn't everybody think they drive well? @Wayne58 stated he drives very well, must be someone in his life that would beg to differ. My grandfather refused to go faster than 55mph on the highway because his gas mileage was worse. He also drove busses for a living and had to take driving tests often. He drove well but he drove to the law and that drove some people crazy. I would say the majority of drivers do not drive to the law.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. yep, it should be more relevant and motorway driving should be included .. the 3 point turn shows they can control a car and should teach observation skills.A requirement for foreign drivers to sit tests earlier; you can drive around for a year before even having to apply for a provisional UK license. I think they have taken/are planning to take reversing around a corner out of the test anyway..

I would prefer kids to be taught it at an earlier age so that they have more awareness as a ped or as a cyclist too and it would help to raise general standards..

The refresher isn't a bad idea - could be done as a regular theory test. online? (lots of ways to roll this out cheaply and make sure people don't cheat the system). There is a lot of general ignorance about around road laws, best practise and there should advise about not just that you shouldn't sit in lane 2 or 3 but the actual impact you have on traffic flows when you do (it's getting worse); it could even be used as an education tool to address misconceptions and promote better consideration of other road users e.g. road tax giving you more right to be on the road than a cyclist ;) as our roads are funded through general taxation.

16. Don't think so, kids would get hold of the tests, available as disks on eBay etc, it would not take long for them to do the rounds. I certainly ain't paying for a retest every 5 years or so, and so it comes back down to testing, examiners should be way more stringent and if there's the slightest doubt about confidence, common sense, ability to handle the car, lane discipline, roundabouts etc etc etc, just fucking fail em....End of IMO :upyeah:

17. I don't smoke mate, but I do pay income tax, road tax, fuel duty tax, fuel VAT, car purchase tax, VAT on services and tyres and any other car parts I need. So with this and more in mind, you can shove your £100 right up your arse if you think I am paying any fucking more !!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Bugger :eek: Didn't realise I had written very well, i meant fuggin fantastic !!! :upyeah::cool:

19. If you drive as well as you rant then I have no doubt you are an excellent driver.;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. That’s what they all think...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information