1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 F***! Eccentric Hub Moved Whilst Riding

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Gaza916, Mar 25, 2018.

1. I hope it’s of some help Peter but it’s increasingly risky to recommend anything these days, ideally a link to a ‘paper’ from a renowned source would be preferable but as you well know, even contents of same may come under attack - where does it end?!

2. I just rely on my materials science modules as part of my degree and the testing of various sheer strengths of materials. Normal ductile steel always much performed better than Ti and HSS etc. Ti is fine for decorative, but for anything that carries load I go with what the manufacturer installed. I do use stainless for non critical areas, like rearset mounts etc. Stress corrosion fatigue/cracking was particularly interesting in relation to aircraft grade alloys. However it affects all materials. Inc ductile steel. Damned salt sucks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. WTF ????
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

4. Is there a general rule of thumb for increasing torque values for titanium over steel?

#24 Gaza916, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  5. That could be a good shout actually. I have in the past bought caliper bolts that are a few mm different, and unnoticed until you line them up side by side on a flat surface

6. Don't Ti bolts stretch when you (first?) tighten them? I have a recollection that when re-fitting Ti con rods to an SPS engine, you have to torque them up, then measure the stretch, then torque them some more - or something like that. This page describes the process better than I can!

Not sure if the same would apply to the pinch bolts on a SSSA? Might be safer to just stick with steel bolts, as others have said.

7. i think you have not tightened the bolts correctly...it came undone simples!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information