1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F**k You, Covid19!

Discussion in 'Touring' started by razz, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Andy had his bike with wets on and did a couple of laps on it to gauge the conditions. He rode with road tyres on a different bike when riding with his group. I am reliably informed that in the afternoon of my crash another two riders came off at the same location, and one of them was an indtructor!

2. Phew. Always a bright side. So glad my mudguard lives on Dave.
    Bike does look reasonable straight under all the obvious plastics damage assuming frame and engine ok.
    Keep the thread running so we can all add moral support. :upyeah:

3. Bike out and examined in more detail.
    Tail unit - wrecked. Every plastic bit broken. Sub frame straight and unmarked. I have every single clip and bolt though, which is nice. I was riding with a tail pack from time to time (Kreiga U10) so the bike had the pillion seat on it rather than the race hump. Left and right rearsets (Rizoma) wrecked. Haven’t bent in though and haven’t damaged the frame mounts. OEM exhaust - appears untouched. Clutch cover penetrated, but clutch apparently not damaged (but I will have to wait until I remove the cover to be sure. Alternator cover scuffed. Cooling system untouched. Wheels untouched. Front brakes untouched. Discs still true. Carbon front mudguard untouched. Headlight appears undamaged. Clocks appear undamaged. Forks appear to be undamaged apart from some minor cosmetic blemishes up top. Tank - scuffed on both sides and dented up top right near the Ducati logo. Not a big dent though. Right bar may have done that. Left clipon snapped, switch gear may be trashed (wires pulled out). Clutch pump still works but the lever is scrap. Right clipon broken but still in place. Pump still works. Lever trashed. switch gear may be ok. Screen - trashed. Nose cone - trashed. Mirrors - gone. Right mirror support - gone. Upper left and right fairings - badly scuffed. Mid left and right fairings - badly scuffed. Lower left fairing - scuffed. Lower right fairing - intact and unmarked! Left lock-stop gone, right one still there and undamaged.
    No idea if the bike ran for any length of time whilst on its sides. It is supposed to have a tilt sensor, but so was Paul’s Suzuki but that continued to rev its nuts off whilst it was on its side!

4. What is your thinking? Full time track bike now?
    The tilt switch will most likely have worked. It did on my track Daytona when I binned it at Snetterton last month. :rolleyes:
    A winter rebuild with eBay’s help possibly? :cool:

5. Probably rebuild it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. One of my German friends tells me they were both instructors that went down; one at Hoehenrain Schikane , the second at Hatzenbach

7. Oh man, what a story, like a Hollywood movie. I'm glad you're alright and well.

8. Sorry to see this has happened, but judging by your post it seems even binning your bike at the 'ring doesn't get you down. A crash, a night in hospital, followed by a van drive to Blighty destroys most, so hats off to you sir!

Like everyone else I'm glad to see you aren't seriously hurt. Perhaps you will be building the bike back better this winter too! That will keep your writing & camera skills sharp.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. You know what, it’s not as bad as it first looked. Should be interesting putting it back together.
    Think you might be needing a new lid though.

Thanks for the report. It’ll be interesting to see it continue as a rebuild thread.

10. I was enjoying this thread till then. Glad to hear that you are ok :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Many of the wet car lines are the same. Looking for grip everywhere that is not on a normal line that you’d use in the dry. So off- line braking and running over where the dry line would be to hunt out grip on the outside of corners avoiding the urge to turn in to an apex.

12. 682233B3-66F3-4E9A-BE9C-CDCF4F03A2F1.jpeg D17B6C38-B28D-4D06-9835-0FA8C8FBEDBE.jpeg 26B6DD0A-446B-48BB-881E-F78AE9EC2DF3.jpeg EB4AA8A7-9012-4529-A8FB-53F9B1F188C7.jpeg The long and winding road…

I’ve started down the restoration road. First of all I need to see if the engine is ok, so that means making it oil-tight again and fixing the controls so that I can try starting it. I have cleaned nearly all of the oil from it (the stuff gets everywhere). Remains of clutch cover removed. No sign of any dirt ingress, so that’s good. Broken rearsets are off and the OEM rearsets back on. I never really did like the Ducati-by-Rizoma units and the remains are scrap now. The gearbox feels ok when tested statically.
    Left and right clip ons stripped. The switchgear on each side appears to have survived with a few scratches and the clutch pump and lever are intact. Clutch fluid res has split and come away from its mounting but is still fluid-tight. Throttle tube and grip are toast. The throttle housing is ok. Brake pump is ok but the lever is trashed. The levers are also Rizoma but unlike the rearsets I really like them so if the restoration goes ahead I will replace like with like.
    And so to eBay. Throttle body - easy! Same part as V4SF and people are post-fitting heated grips which come as a complete throttle unit, so plenty about. RH clip on - yes. LH clip on - one in Germany but I am going to enquire locally before pulling the trigger on that. Still not sure what the import implications would be. Clutch cover - none so far. A couple there for dry clutch (V4R etc). Now I just wait for parts to arrive and strip, clean and check everything else!

• Like Like x 1
  13. You should get a few quid for the rearsets sold as spares. Carbon cover for swingarm?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Surely it’s good to leave a few battle scars?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. It’s a veritable tour of the outer reaches of the track!

16. It does add a certain je ne sais quoi

Do Not Sell My Personal Information