1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed Oil Pressure Switch? I Hope So.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Skidpanalley, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Okay, that's weird.
    The original switch causes the oil warning light to show when the ignition is switched on, and remains lit with the engine running.
    The VW part shows no warning light with the ignition on, but lights when the engine is started and does not go out even at 3000rpm.
    The £30 Ducati replacement part causes the oil warning light to show when the ignition is switched on, and the light immediately goes out when the engine starts, and stays out.
    it is as if the VW part works arse about face, showing the light when pressure is achieved, but unlit until then.
    Answers on a postcard, please.

2. Just blank off the hole and ignore the light, you'll soon know if your oil pressure fails...

Steve R

3. Remind me not to buy a bike off you :)

4. The factory race bikes never had oil pressure warning lights fitted chap.
    I haven't fitted them for over 20 years and haven't had a crankshaft/big end failure yet on a plain bearing Ducati.
    If the warning lights actually worked as they should (and they don't!) it would already be time to strip the motor to sort out the lack of pressure problem/damage IME.

Steve R

5. Best use the new Ducati switch then & run the additional wire to a good earth point.

Obviously the VW switch works the opposite way round, there's an argument to say that way of working is more fail-safe with the way car diagnostics work & fault logging.

6. realistically by the time the light comes on the oil pressure is that low the damage is already done and too late
    but just me if its fitted i would want it working ....ocd

7. Final answer - the new type switch has been wired in and today's 30 mile ride held no nasty surprises. All good, thanks for the advice chaps.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information