1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Fails To Start.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by kartman, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Funnily enough, I had exactly the same starting issue last week. Opened the throttle and kept turning the engine over until it eventually spluttered into life.

Rode it to the dealers as it was booked in for servicing and got a loan 1260. Exactly the same starting issue on the loan bike!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I have a 2019 year 1260S Multistrada which I use for work everyday and have been experiencing similar starting problems in the cold weather since last November, the bike has been back to the dealer 3 times but no faults found, dealer has now said unless it fails to start while at dealership they cannot diagnose the problem (The dealer did recommend me replacing the original battery with a lithium battery) which I have done, it has helped but not cured the problem, my bike still struggles to start at least once a week and if I am lucky it will eventually fire up with a splutter if the throttle is held part open.
    I am not a regular but wanted to let others know there is indeed a problem.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Same problem here. Brand new 1260GT. Did not start @ sub zero temperatures. However problem is only with sport map. Starts right up in touring and/or urban mode. Engine turns over, but does not catch on. And only for temps below 3 centigrade.

4. Strange about the Sports map thing. Mine was definitely on Touring at the time.

There's clearly a problem, but phoning around dealers, they all said "we've never heard of this". Only one dealer actually showed interest, thought about it for a bit, and came to the same conclusions as are in this thread about the cause. With minimal information from me (I didn't want to lead him), he sussed it out perfectly and asked whether I had a list of symptoms which I've detailed above. It was very refreshing after speaking to others. He said he'd report it to the factory. That dealer btw was Ducati Coventry (JHP)

5. My bike is also from Ducati Coventry, so I am pleased they did recognise the symptoms (I returned my bike to them with this problem 3 times in February), Hopefully they get you an answer and a fix asap (they are a great dealership and I have bought many new bikes from them) My starting problem happens in Touring mode mostly (but that is what it is generally left in) I have noticed that the starter turns the engine over very slowly when it is about to fail to start, this happened in -3 one morning recently, but the next morning in a similar temperature it spun over quicker (as normal) and started with no trouble, Starter motor perhaps?
    I have also been in touch with customer service in Italy several times to report the issue and ask for help, both times I was referred back to customer service uk who in turn referred me back to JHP, who told me they do not know what to do about it, so I am stuck with a bike that regularly makes me late for work!! my boss is not impressed at all.

6. It's not the starter motor. From what I've been told, it's to do with the air/fuel mappings for lower temperatures being wrong or missing.

You should be smelling a very strong smell of petrol. The bike is basically over-fuelling. Using full throttle when starting (since it's a ride by wire throttle) will tell the ECU to grab more air (so that it closer matches the over-fuelling) and that is what kicks them into life.

Apologies for inaccuracies in explanation, I'm no mechanic, but it was something like that. If your bike isn't reeking of petrol when you try starting normally, you may have other issues.

The recommendation for a lithium battery is because they have stronger cold cranking amps (CCA) compared to regular batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hello guys,

Unfortunately I have to add my experience to this topic too.

Bought a new 1260s in Jan 2019 – as of now it has 11,000 miles on the clock.

I’ve experienced this issue since the very same day I picked the new bike up, overnight the temperature went below zero and it failed to start the following morning. Last time it happened was last week. In total I think I have experienced this problem 15-20 times. I had the AA out 5-6 times and the bike went back to the dealership (Ducati Aylesbury) 3 times for this problem. The dealership never managed to replicate the problem, all they say is that it can be linked to my full Termignoni exhaust.

The problem mainly occurs when it’s cold outside, although my bike has failed to start in Summer too. AA managed to get it running with the full-throttle method a couple of times but sometimes that didn’t work.

I have run the battery down a few times too. A very strong smell of petrol is something which occurs in my case too. On one occasion AA added 5 liters of petrol and it magically started (the fuel tank was half full before adding petrol though).

So far this has ruined a few daily commutes to work and every time I walk to my garage to pick the bike I kind of “pray” it would start. Not expecting this when you buy a premium bike. I had an Hypermotard 939 before, never did that, even if taking it for a spin after 6 months on the paddock stand. This problem is really really annoying me.

Would be very interesting to learn if anyone got a fix for this very unfortunate problem.

Cheers

8. Your explanation makes perfect sense, there is indeed a very strong smell of petrol after failing to start at the first try, Thank you.
    I am running out of patience with the bike now if I am perfectly honest, and Ducati too, I had a 2013 Diavel and a 2015 1200 DVT Multistrada prior to this 1260S I had them for many years and neither of them played up like this, ever!
    I will pop into see John at JHP when things open up again and see if he has heard anything about a fix, will keep everyone updated.

9. Thank you Ade, this is really disappointing indeed.

What is even more disappointing is that the dealership keeps saying they can't do anything unless they are able to replicate the issue. I showed them videos of when it occurred too. Nothing comes up on their diagnostics either. Once I left the bike with them for 2 weeks but apparently it was starting regularly every morning.

10. This is an interesting topic for me as I have half an eye on a 1260 to replace my 14 1200 twin spark.

I note the fuelling theory and smell of petrol, but regards my bike, a point which I think I've read here, is when the temperature drops to say sub 5 degrees the engine goes from being a lazy starter to a very very lazy starter. makes for anxious times on a cold morning, so much so I called in to Grenoble last May for a new battery as I thought it would let me down on tour.

Now my question is, I dont think the fueling makes it more lazy at low temperatures, I thought it was the oil being thicker or mayber even tolerances being too tight when the mercury plummets?

Thoughts?

TB

Edit; I've had the ecu mapped so my fuelling should be Ok all thru the rev range.

11. ...anxious times indeed, 15 months so far :-(

12. Ducati Aylesbury was one of the dealers I called too. I got the same service as you, a brush off and it must be something else.

Given the Terminoni is an official accessory, they shouldn't turn around and use that as an excuse.

However, I do have a full termi as well... wonder if that (or maybe more likely the Up Map that comes with it) that is at fault....

13. This is really interesting - I called them two weeks ago when it happened last time and they kept saying I had been the only customer reporting this issue so far...

14. I also have a full Termi system fitted, Last time JHP had my bike for 3 days and said they would check the mapping but reported no faults found when I picked it up.
    I would think the more we all keep contacting our dealers/Ducati UK about this issue the more chance we have of getting a result, I have put Ducati UK Customer Service email address below.

Ducati UK
    Email: [email protected]

15. Eric.. do you have a full termi too by any chance?

Seems more than a coincidence that 3 of us on this thread do...

16. Not the full termi. Just the standard system. So it may be a coincidence after all.

17. Thanks for responding. Probably is given someone said their dealer's loan bike had the same issue. They won't fit a can that expensive on a loaner...

18. Termi or not - all this is so disappoining :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Haven't ridden in sub zero conditions but have ridden on mornings when it's been that overnight, mines parked outside under a cover. Starts up no problem on first try. It's a 2018 model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I have a thought on this, when the starter button is pressed the ECU throws in the starter relay and the injectors to supply fuel to the cylinders, i believe there is an inbuilt delay in the ECU software before telling the HT coils to supply a spark to the spark plugs. The reason for this could be to allow the starter motor to spin the engine with enough revolutions to build up compression before the engine actually fires and runs.

It could be on cold mornings when a batteries temperature is so low that it could be only 80% charged even though it is connected to a float charger that the ECU doesn't see enough crank revs via the ignition trigger on the crankshaft to release the ECU command to fire the spark plugs. Which might explain why there is a strong smell of fuel!

Just a thought!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information