1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Fails To Start.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by kartman, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Sounds plausible... but well above my understanding :D

2. Good Afternoon Gents
    I hope all are well after the lockdown.
    Now that the dealers are open again I have been to Ducati Coventry today for a chat with the service manager John, I asked if he had heard anything back from Ducati in Italy regarding any updates for the cold starting issue's I had experienced and still continue to have, He has heard nothing at all from Ducati regarding cold starting problems, he again said he would contact Ducati and ask.
    Unfortunately my patience has come to an end with my 1260 S Multistrada and Ducati! I have part ex'd it for something else and the bikes go's at the end of july (not for another Ducati I sadly must say) I am sorry its not better news but wish you all well and hope that Ducati do eventually sort this out for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sad to hear! I must admit it has been months now that my MTS1260s (full Termi) does behave - but I guess it's linked to being warm.

Hope at least you went for a GS....

4. Stick around and post pics of your new bike, many on here don't have Ducati's anymore, but the forum is good no matter what you ride :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. It is sad indeed, not what I expected after spending 19 grand on the Multistrada! ( I actually spent a little under 50 grand on 3 ducati's in 6 years with JHP so I am very disappointed in the lack of a response)
    My new bike will be the BMW S1000XR 2020 model tbh, I felt the Multistrada was still a little bit lumpy below 3000rpm ( I ride through the city going to work so thought a 4 cylinder would be much smoother), I have a friend who works for BMW and he has said they are not without their faults either but he has said their warranty service is excellent and that they do not ignore customers problems, BMW also said should i have any issues with the bike that they would give me a bike to get to work on while it was being sorted, what can i say its worth a try. Due to the pandemic my new bike delivery date has moved on from May to July but they have already offered to take the Ducati and lend me a BMW so that my part ex value isn't affected. I live in hope I get a good bike and that I have a job to go back to when all this is over.

6. That’s excellent customer service from your BMW dealer. Andy

7. That's fantastic Addy, I hope you enjoy the new bike and it gives you many years of happy service.

My other bike is a BMW (my second) and I have to say, I've NOT had a good experience with BMW service, but it sounds like you've got one of the few decent BMW dealers near you given their conduct so far. Do you mind telling me who your dealer is?

One thing I've found with BMW is that they are very reluctant to do full-on recalls or admit faults... so I very much recommend you get it serviced at a main dealer as they have an awful lot of "service bulletins" which they silently carry out when you go in for a service. Third party mechanics won't know about these. Also, I believe the new XR has the built in Datatool tracker like most of the new high end BMWs. You'll want a trickle charger as they drain the battery quite quickly.

8. My apologies for the late reply, The BMW Dealer in question is https://www.rybrookwolverhamptonmotorrad.co.uk
    They have been very helpful.
    I think most manufacturers these days do not like admitting mistakes, I work in a business that manufactures parts for cars and I often as part of an engineering team have to look at rejected parts help diagnose the problem then advise on required repairs to machines/ machine set up / tooling and also write work instructions to make sure it doesn't happen again, this is all usually done within a week or two of the customer notifying us of a problem and all information is then sent back to our customer, I cannot imagine the motorcycle industry operates any differently, or I would hope not at least lol.
    I will indeed get my new S1000XR dealer serviced as you recommend, I also have optimate chargers for normal and lithium battery's Thank you. This is a bike for the daily commute to work as I do not drive a car and I never usually keep them more than 2 years anyway. I can only hope the BMW is more reliable than the Multistrada.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Interesting thread. Thinking of changing my motorcycle early next year. Still wary of Ducati after experiencing the poor quality materials and ‘little faults’. Shortlist includes another,
    GS
    S1000xr (2020 model year)
    1260 Multi.
    I do like the new 5 year BMW warranty. At the price bracket these bikes fall in to anything less has to be questioned. Ducati 2+2 is ‘just enough’ imo.
    However, warranty not a huge help with frequent starting issues. Be interesting to know how many have issues?
    On my third BMW and have done around 40k between the 3. Zero issues.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information