1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fairing Fastener Question

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Munkee1805, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I’ve been putting the fairing back in my recent purchase - a 2001 750SS which is a bit of a project, which came with the fairings removed.

After a bit of buggering about with broken tabs on the belly pan I’ve managed to get the whole thing mounted but for one fixing.

It’s the lower right side mount that’s causing me issues, near your right toes and fixes to the brake lever mount. Appears to be an m5 fastener but I can’t get it to go more than 2 or 3 turns (feels like a crossed thread if I try much harder). Can anyone verify please the type of fixing that goes here (can’t see anything on the fiche’s I’ve found online)?

Cheers,

steve

2. If it’s the same as a 900ss ie then it should just be a bolt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. As Alan above said it should just be a bolt, stating the obvious try a shorter bolt or find some washers nylon if you have any to take up the space.:upyeah:

#3 WAYNE, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks all - I’ve used a shorter fastener to get the job done, but it just seems odd that it only goes in 2 and a bit turns.

That aside, job done so thanks for the confirmation!
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  5. Could be a bolt snapped off inside, it could be drilled out and re tapped but if you have sorted then all good, and maybe a little mild strength threadlocker to be sure it doesn't work loose as only in by 2 and a bit turns.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good thinking Wayne - I had thought maybe something had sheared off but on investigation it does same ‘right’ if you get what I mean (as if it’s been machined that way).

i might look further into it at some point to drill and tap for a better fitment. In the meantime, thread lock it is!

• Like Like x 2
  7. right just checked stein dinse site think the bolt in question is this one in pic number 7 on the diagram
    just over 48 euro ouch....
    82110911a.jpg 313031554433.jpg

8. Thankfully it’s not that bolt, but one that fastens into the end of it. That would have been an expensive outing for sure!

I’ve been checking the fiche’s and it doesn’t appear to actually be shown, but judging by the fact there’s a fixing point on the fairing and a fixing on the other side, it clearly fastens in somehow.

Anyone got a later SS and wouldn’t mind popping out the fastener in question to put the mystery to bed?

• Like Like x 1
  9. You want the bolt that goes onto ‘number 7’ on the diagram.

Mine is in bits at the moment, and typically I can’t find the bolt for there.

I did just wind in another, longer, bolt and measured how far it went in, which was 20mm if that’s any help.

10. Great, thanks Alan.

Sounds like the old fastener has sheared off in there - time for more adventures with a dremel and stud extractor

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information