1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farewell To Nora

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Aug 21, 2021.

1. From The Guardian - my new read after The Times obsession with Clarkson became too much for me.

So it’s farewell to bloody Nora. The f-word has become Britain’s most popular swearword, overtaking “bloody”, as the nation’s use of expletives has dropped over the past two decades, a linguistics study has found.

Data on the use of 16 swearwords in the 1990s and the 2010s shows the f-word was the most frequently used, taking the title from “bloody” which was beaten into third place by “shit”.

The study, by Dr Robbie Love at Aston University, found there was a 27% drop in swearing in Britain over the 20-year period, down from 1,822 to 1,320 swearwords per million.

Men still swear more than women, and swearing still peaks in people’s 20s and declines thereafter, Love found.

Whilst I am being boring: dumping rechargeables and using Duracell (as talked about yesterday) has made a big difference to my exercise bike screen - as in, I can now read what it says, with ease. didn't do anything like my target of 10 km because there was at least 0.2 km put on with all of the messing about, so, to make up for it, I went for max speed. 31 Kph was OK. Next target with be 40!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. bollocks

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Where on earth could these statistics have come from?

4. Some utter Cockwomble with too much time on their hands are actually paid for this.

5. I do so enjoy raising the tone of the conversation...

As an aside, I was going to start a vote on whether I will get my driving license back. I've decided to leave that one, as I suspect that it will not be a "Yes" or "No", but more likely, "You can do this , but not that" - as in, "you can ride motorbikes, but only with L-Plates and cars are OK, but not ones with round steering wheels, bollocks, bollocks and yet more bollocks (that is not me swearing)....

I've got a trip next weekend and I've already bought my train tickets and taxi booked. That is how confident I am feeling.

I feel embarrassed in wasting people's time with my new bike ideas, when it does not appear to be a simple thing to get mu license back. It was good fun, but I am still no wiser and I've stopped looking, as I haven't got as good feeling about my license return. Surely the gig would be that if DVLA said that you need to do an assessment, they would send you to the assessment centre and you would either pass or fail and they would tell you to your face? I am getting to know what kippers feel like after they are done up.

6. Tos funny, though!
    upload_2021-8-21_14-51-40.png

7. And now I have the horn bracket for my ST3, I should be fitting the horn , whilst it is raining, but I've totally long interest in everything.

My focus, next week, will to visit eCycle for an electric bike and to get my money back out of Cynergy Bank (who cannot be trusted with it) coz the electric bicycle idea is still on.

8. Best get an Allegro then ;)

9. That may be the hint! They want me to buy British!

10. My Irish brethren are good at using expletives apart from all the usual ones one of the favourites is cunt, cunting even cuntish, although I may have introduced that, but never bloody that’s far too English.

Was a bit of a shock to my tender young (then) English ears but you soon get to realise it’s just another form of expression, which by the way isn’t necessarily used in anger!

I remember hearing the expression Motherfucker for the first time as a kid and was genuinely shocked!

So fuck is our new buzz word eh, bloody hell who’d of thought it.

#11 Carr01, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. You haven't been wasting our time Perry, you have been entertaining us, and although I can't speak for the Forum i'm going to anyway, because we all* wish you well mate.

#12 Chris, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. An Alegro it is then ;)

My go to swear word is Bollocks, its quintessentially British, lots of jolly foreigners don't get it and I like that.

13. I have not bothered to read the reports, but I think "Bollocks" should be well up there. It fits better then c*nt on so many levels. Men swear the most and it is just right that a part of the male anatomy should be used, rather than a general insult to women. It just is and I do not want to hear any bollocks about me being wrong. I have much more on this subject but now is time for me to shad'up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. If you remove yourself from associating words with gender then they become just words
    Sure in anger when you feel aggrieved harsh words can be called for.

When the guy in front changes lanes without acknowledging I’m there I may call him or her a dick, I’m not actually imagining he/she is a huge phallus behind the wheel.

Still can’t get my head around folk who type an asterisk mid Cu*t when it’s what you’re thinking it’s what you want to put across and it what you want the reader to understand!

15. I am just trying to reduce my offensiveness as much as possible, as I don't wanna get thrown out!

16. Thrown out of what?
    This isn’t a nursery. we’re all adults in an adult world.

17. Agreed, but lots of sites prevent people from writing profanity, others suspend you from posting.

I think using the asterisk or writing "cnut" is more polite. Though I'm not personally offended by the use of profanity at all, I know others are & its respect for them that leads me to moderate slightly.

18. I think if someone overuses it then it speaks volumes about the poster.

Other than the above I don’t think I’ve ever had to use the c word in my history of posts as there are plenty of other options to use.

if you feel the need to use it then do just that, or don’t, but by rearranging the spelling it gets used more often as it’s deemed less offensive yet still has the same intentions which seems kinda crazy.

19. I have to concede that you are correct. You c... no, no, no I won't do it, but you are right.

Of no relevance is that I have been running my own personal, "I hate Amazon" campaign for the last few weeks, but...............

First, I heard a piece of music of the radio by Rodrigo that I quite liked, this morning. I looked around on-line and could find it to be nowhere, so I looked on Amazon, Put in "Joaquin Rodrigo" and BANG! Downloaded on my PC in less than 5 minutes for £2.98. Later, I was trying to do some more garden clearance and my sequiturs broke, as in they are now scrap. My local hardware shop is closed (obviously) and I think that they have given up selling gardening tools, as last time their hot tip was to visit a garden centre. So, back on Amazon and done. Delivery tomorrow. They may treat their staff like dogs, but what can one do? They have almost everything for next day delivery. And then I succumbed and went on Ducati's web site. If I ever get my license back, then I do not know what to do. Probably be easier if DVLA just toss me about until I get fed up and tell the to fuck off (swearing now OK).

Motorbike would be between Ducati Panigale V2 (£15k odd) and KTM Duke 890R (~£10.5) but emotionally, it is difficult. I am not going to buy another new bike again (or probably any bike) and my first ever bike was a KTM (and so the circle is closed) but it has only been Ducati for at least 15-odd years. Two of the six have been written of in accidents - one my fault and one not, so maybe Ducatis are a bit dangerous....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information