1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCR 41's on Ebay

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Imola, Mar 16, 2012.

1. 84 bhp pretty much the same as my 944. Will be interested in how much difference the fcr carbs make.

2. I wouldn't have thought that the peak BHP would change very much, if at all!

Bigger carbs are generally thought to improve absolute peak figures (if the valves timing and area don't limit things) but most recieved wisdom would suggest that the normal intake lengths limit any further power production above about 7500rpm anyway. Im mainly after a more muscular midrange, and snappier throttle response lower down.

Combining the new carbs with advancing the cams a little should do that nicely!

3. If you don't already have one, I'd recommend a quick action throttle.

4. Enjoy! The bloke lives about two miles away from me, did message him about them as we have done business prevoiusly? We are looking to move soon so finances dicatated these would not be mine... :frown:

5. Howdo!

My Hi-comp motor (904cc) with 39mm FCRs made about 85Bhp and 65lb of torque, however the transformation on the throttle was far greater than the figures. With 944cc the bike made about another 5Bhp and 6lb of torque (Not much of a gain, but this is what your chasing on these motors. Again what these don't show is the 944cc is making 6Bhp throughout the rev range not just the top end). I think you will be impressed with the FCR's, and its not wasted money as you can always unbolt and sell for more or less what you paid for them.

Pablo

6. Hi

I've just got my old 900 back on the road with 39mm FCRs & a set of JE hi-comps.

I'm very pleased with the results so far, although I've got a nagging feeling that I should have gone for the 41s. Any words of comfort here, Pablo?

Bizarely the bike seems to be resisting pinking, even with the pick-ups back to standard position due to attempting to make an Ignitech work .... see seperate thread.

Anyway, after a 500 mile period of trying to treat it gentle 'coss of the new pistons/valve guides etc, I gave it a proper whizz round yesterday and found it was willing to rev towards 8k in top ..... I like to think it would have actually exceeded 8 if the traffic had allowed.

Much smoother throughout now and lifts the front in first from 4k with the clutch fully home which, if I'm honest, is what I was really hoping for when I bought the carbs.

And I'm getting 50 plus mpg, and that's not hanging around.

Can I also recomend MH Racing for a fork re-work? My old Showas now behave like low-end Ohlins, except without the constanly blowing oil seals.

After yesterday I can say I'm really happy with my old bike ..... hope it lasts, eh?

7. Hey there everyone!

I know I just bought a pair... But there's another pair of FCR41s on Ebay. The seller recons that they are new, but the appear to be just a pair of FCRs without any of the associated hardware like throttle cables and assembly etc etc. Probably no idea what they are jetted for either. Still, there's 5 days left and the starting bid is £450, and they are in the UK. Tempting anyone?

Keihin FCR 41mm Flatside Carburettors | eBay

8. Hiya!
    Saw those yesterday - would have to do some research into how much all the adaptors, cables & throttle would cost first, could also need rejetting? Hmmm...

9. OK, I got hold of my 'new' FCRs last night and on taking them out of the box, one of the throttle cable guides was broken! Its one of the pair which bolt the outers of the cables to the body of the carbs, and turn the cables through not quite 90°...

Now, there was no damage to the box, and the carbs were well packed in bubble wrap, and there was no mention of the broken cable guide in the item discription.... I was a bit miffed that I paid for the carbs within minutes of the auction ending by Paypal, but they were only delivered yesterday. OK it was Easter in between, but that did take a long time!

The carbs aren't fit to bolt on like this, because the broken guide has the potential to cause the throttle cable to hang up. Don't really fancy that possibility!

Allen's Performance will sell me a cable set, so I'll investigeate how much that might cost.

Anyone else got any suggestions where to go from here?

Not given any feedback yet...

10. Can't help with the ebay thing but if you need parts/service for the carbs then I would recommend you contact Brian at BR special Tuning Motorcycle Performance & Motorsport Parts very helpful and will likely have what you're after.

11. When I was fitting mine Chewy' I broke one of the cable guides :frown: I ended up getting a new set from Cycleworks as I would have had to cut the nipples off one end to replace the guide. I'll have a look to see if I still have the old set of cables as you might be able to use the good one.

Ian.

12. Thanks for the kind offer Ian! Of the two cable guides, the broken one is the one nearest to the bellmouths if that makes sense, I can't remember whether this is the opening or the returning cable (Im at work right now) The cables are handed at the twistgrip end. The nylon outers that go into the twistgrip have a 'left' and a 'right'. An ideal scenario would be that your 'spare' cable can just be dropped in, but cutting a nipple off, and threading a new guide on, then resoldering would be a workable solution...

Just out of interest, how much was a new pair of cables from Cycleworks?

13. I think they were 40 dollars plus 20 in postage, but that was way back when the exchange rate was way better than it is today. I'll have a look for the cables tonight fella and let you know what I have :upyeah:

14. OK, some progress! I used the link provided by Dukedesmo, and got a quote for a new set of cables (£56), and after a few emails back and forth with the seller, he agreed to paypal the £56 to me, so a result all round there!

The seller said that the cable adjuster has probably been broken all along, but he never looked that closely because he never fitted the carbs to his bike.

Thanks for the kind offer of your spare cable Ian, but it looks like everything is sorted now, and a new pair of cables is heading over this way.

Thanks to all who have helped out! Peace and love, etc etc. :D

15. Cool! Glad you got it sorted! :)

16. Nice one, good to know there are decent people on ebay.:upyeah:

17. the seller agreed to paypal the £56 to me, so a result all round there!

Nice one :upyeah: and good to here a positive ebay tale...

18. Just back from Florida. Bought a set of FCRs from a place in Tampa cost about £620 all in inc K&N, new throttle cables etc.
    Really friendly guy who had them shipped down from Sudco in California at short notice.
    MRE - Murdoch Racing Enterprises - Main Page

19. OK, another update!

The cables arrived last week, and I set to in the garage trying to fit it all together. I previously checked out all the settings on the carbs against Chris Kelly's recommended figures, and they were all spot on, apart from the main jets which were 160s against the recommended 155.

I was a bit miffed to find that I couldn't make everything fit for a while, until I worked out that I had to 'modify' the airbox/battery carrier with a fretsaw to give me sufficient clearance between it and the cable guide bolted to the carbs. I took a couple of gos at this, as I removed a little, fitted it all up, then found I had to remove more etc. etc. After losing a bit of knuckle skin I also remembered that the easy way to install carbs into an ss is to hang the carbs from the airbox, then install the airbox in the frame, and then couple up the cables and the plumbing.

Anyway, after turning the petcock back on, I was greeted with the sight and smell of petrol piddling all over the floor, before I tapped the float bowls to seat the float valves, and all was well. After some more fiddling, it fired up readily enough (two pumps of gas on the throttle to prime it) and it kept running then dying, and with a cold engine and no choke, juggling the throttle didn't help much, but eventually I was able to keep it running long enough to adjust the idle throttle stop, and tickover was achieved! And true to the claims, it does idle slower than the Mikunis would allow.

I took it for a spin for the first time today, and after putting in a few miles to make sure that all was well, and nothing was about to fall off, I started to give it some more beans...

It comes up onto the back wheel nicely now off the throttle in 1st with no clutch abuse, and after my back road blat, I'm very happy with the results of the fiddling! I don't think that it was that much faster on the back roads, but its not all about power there anyway, I'll have to wait till a track day to find the true worth of the conversion!

20. So this is where everyone from Ducatisti ended up!

Thanks for the kind words about our Ebay transaction & it sounds like you are enjoying the carbs :smile:

Ian

Do Not Sell My Personal Information