1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel Final Drive Ratio. To Increase The Size Of The Rear Sprocket Or Not ?

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Android853sp, Jun 30, 2017.

1. So a quick question, has anyone played with their front or/and rear sprocket sizes ? Carole is finding that most of the posted speed limits fall between gears, 30mph is just too high for first but too low for second. As she starts her IAM observer training, the attention to the speed limits is of course key and she is looking for a cost effective and relatively easy solution. My suggestion is a Renthal QR sprocket carrier and then try +2 and +3 teeth on the rear sprocket. Any (on topic) feedback is appreciated. Andy

2. Gearingcommander.com

3. Yes I've got that :upyeah:, just being lazy and seeing if anyone has done the hard work already. Andy

4. IMHO like almost all (actually, all bar the smallest!) drop -1 off the front is a no-brainer :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. On my T9 +2 on rear I just got away with chain length but a +3 would have needed a longer chain.

I bought a 180/55 instead of a 199/50 a few weeks back and the extra height meant it was to close to rubbing for my liking so had to swap to a 14T front and but OEM rear cog back on. Really I need a +2 link chain but was being cheap/lazy.

6. -1 at the front is the cheap/lazy git solution I too followed on my 999.
    Few of us need the bike to be geared for top speed and the -1 at the front gives a useful reduction without having to worry about chain length.
    Makes the bike usefully livelier and much more pleasant to ride around town.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Well had a long chat with Craig this morning and as far as we can tell, none of the main after market sprocket manufacturers offer anything off the shelf bigger than 43 teeth on the rear which, for the Diavel, is standard. Also had a chat with the workshop and dropping 1 on the front is likely to bring the bottom chain run too close to the swing arm. Back to the drawing board. Andy

8. Its a 1198/multi hub, isn't it? Get a QR one and use whatever rear sprocket you like.

9. It's the same as a whole range of big hub models but no-one does a sprocket with more than 43 teeth. Andy

10. what is the standard size?

11. I seem to remember somebody finding a manufacturer that made a larger
    rear on the diavel forum.
    Maybe have a look over there.
    Me, I just went with the 1 down at the front, never had a problem.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. what is the standard size?
    you could go -1 front and 42 rear, that may help with the chain angle and still give equivalent of +2 on the rear

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. What is the stock front, 15 T ?

14. Yes, 15. Andy

15. Would be interested to know if you do fit a 14t front and if it works, clearance etc

16. Will do. I might also try a TPS reset to see if it smooths the throttle application. Andy

17. Seems someone Ellery in the thread has without issues :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I ran a 14 f for a couple of years -with no issues
    Initially did it to deal with low speec running - helped a lot
    After Openflash (and later custom mapped Tuneboy ) it smoothed out the low running , but I didn't retrofit the stock 15t - I liked the gearing better with the 14

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information