1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Final Edition Collection Value

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Raddy1, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Thats not the point I was trying to make Brad. The point was about effort.

2. Is the op buying a 350 lc now? :joy::joy:

3. I'd say that does come down to the road though which is was bootsam was referring to.

I can think of many a time when I owned a KTM950SM with a whopping 95bhp where on the right road you could easily gap a superbike and vice versa when a fast flowing road presented itself said superbikes would vanish into the distance. On a tight twisty road I suspect the superbike rider is putting a hell of a lot of effort in to keep up with a flickable, underpowered bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Following and keeping up, is a lot easier than passing and pulling away. Leading, and taking all the risks on blind bends etc, isn't something I'd want to do too much of these days. When there may be a cyclist or a tractor on the unsighted line I've committed to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Especially abroad. Gets a bit hairy.

6. Comparing bikes from 40 years ago show the age of the typical Ducati owner, I mentioned it before- lots of middle aged gents and lots of grey hair, not the worlds bleeding edge riding group because if you made it to 50 then you are probably sensible and enjoy the "racelike" experience of a big red beast but are smart enough to not behave like an 18 year old on a 600 japper. Sure a 1299 well setup and ridden is going to be hard to beat anywhere but its virtually a given that a well ridden middleweight in medium speed corners will be as fast or faster. Check out the Moto2 vs MotoGP times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. When there are a lot more years behind than ahead, it does focus your attention somewhat. Around 10-15 years ago I think it was unlikely you would go to prison just for excessive speed, as long as it was out in the boonies. Get caught at the top of 4th a couple of times now, and it could be time for a Barrister.

8. I know we are way off topic here, but there is a similar thread running over on Pistonheads regarding road speeds and where/when you can open the taps.

We're an easy usually non-conflict target for the police, mobile camera van is a passive NIP a few weeks down the line for example.

Sportsbikes have always attracted a certain level of attention from plod, they hear the howling can approaching way before they see you so it's usually an easy pull, that coupled with the one piece leathers, dark visors etc etc. With the new breed of super naked's it's not so obvious, similar power/handling but more upright = more visibility you can make damn good progress and not trigger the PC's spidey sense.

9. I used to run Akra systems on my bikes, stuck to standard for the last 8 years. Leathers and lid plain black too.

10. Pinning a 1299/1198/V4 is a guilty pleasure and when the speedo gets north of 250 its usually not for long but its so easy to do- virtually any 4th/5th gear straight. We dont have as much big brother as you but more and more its trackdays for me and I am seriously considering track only for the big bikes.

11. Back to the FE :yum
    As you've seen different people have different preferences for different reasons :p

I bought an FE because I wanted a V-twin, not a V4. I like the look of it. It is an R (despite what some might say), and is limited number (albeit 1299 of them). I also waited until they were at what I thought was an acceptible price for me.

Will it hold its value ?
    Well I guess that depends on how you treat it, what you pay for it, how many miles you put on it, etc.
    They originally started out at 35k (plus 4k for a full system), and 4 years on most are mid 20s and up.
    So if you bought 4 years ago, then no they didnt hold their money ;)
    Will they drop more ? Yep, I think they will, but where the bottom is, is debatable. Maybe high teens for high miles no history bikes. and low to mid 20s for the rest. New unregd bikes were selling last year for 28k, which is where 3 year old low miles ones are still being advertised at.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ducati_1299_panigale_r_final_edition
    Shows 76 licenced, 82 sorn'd, so a bunch of them out there but not many for sale at present. There was back in the summer, which I assume was when some people were unloading their bikes after the 3 year finance ended.

Assuming your going to ride it, On the road it rides superb, if its nice and smooth and ideally fast A roads. Technical B roads are entertaining but its not its ideal situation. Throw in a bumpy B road and you will find yourself hovering your arse off the seat. As standard the suspension is fecking hard. There are options to sort this out.
    Point to point I reckon I could ride any other bike faster down a bumpy B road (including a 790 ktm), but get on those A roads and feck me it is superb. Is it any faster than an RR, R1, etc ? probably not, but it makes me smile.

Bottom line: if you like it and can afford it, go for it, you won't regret it. If your looking to make money as an investment though I doubt it will do so just yet, it will cost you to keep it and prices arent climbing yet.
    Hope that helps :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hi John,
    Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated
    Rich

• Like Like x 1
  13. Agree with John,
    Same story with Speciale's, nearly plumped for one 3 months ago as you can pick them up for £10k less than new list price with 500 miles. Opted for the 1199S instead but a couple of buddies have them and are they bothered? Not so much, up, down, stay the same etc, they still have a cracking bikes to drool over and ride...when they can find fuel.

I personally don't expect a low mileage FE or Speciale to drop below low £20k's anytime soon as both desirable and hee-haw else to do with free cash.

14. Just sold my FE and bought the new multi strada
    Would have kept both but finances dictate as always
    The FE is great amazing noise and everything but do you want to ride it every day or keep it in the front room and polish it
    A8713BED-66E6-4FF4-889E-BFDDF16D3BA2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. That looks lovely.
    As an aside, and I've mentioned it before, once you factor in the costs of insurance, tax, maintenance etc etc, there are very few bikes will make you any money. Some just lose you less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Woah, watch it Flatty...my wife nearly saw that!

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information