1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Finally Got To Ride Her...

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by bettes, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Looks fantastic, well done :upyeah:

2. Thanks mate. Yes, very happy.
    The plan was to get the tires, chain & sprockets fitted this morning but left home at 3 am and travelled down to Norwich. Worked 8 hrs there then travelled down to Portsmouth where I'm still working and will be until 2 am. Another 10 hrs tomorrow and should be home. I'll be having Monday off so hopefully sort it then.

3. uploadfromtaptalk1442747391983.jpg it's about 1/2" longer.

4. Cheers mate. Looks like it'd be easier to kick down to the floor as well with the extra foot print.

5. Yep, much easier to find.

6. Get some wd40 or similar onto the rear mount/swinger pivot.Give it loads and several days to do its job.The top hat spacers have a habit of rusting to the pivot and they do a good job of it.Oh by the way,the bike looks a right nail:upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Lovely looking bike, the pivot bolt should knock out without any support as the top hat bushes fit into the frame , unless its different to the 748. I knock mine out and grease it every service.
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Quite a bit done today... Pilots fitted with new 90 degree bend valves for £160 which seams ok.
    AFAM chain & sprockets on, 15/38 with a a 2 link longer chain IIRC.
    New bremo brake and clutch reservoirs fitted. Just need to bleed the old fluid through. Then spent a couple of hours cleaning old oil and grease off and around the swing arm and engine.
    A few more bits to do tomorrow. :)

I'll have a look at that tomorrow. The rear hub was bone dry when I took it apart so I suspect the pivot will be as well. So I might get an ally drift made up before I tackle it. :upyeah:

Thanks, Ian

• Like Like x 3
  9. Don't suppose anyone has a dwg of that drift at hand?
    Saw one a while since but can't remember where...

10. 14T front sprocket is standard mod

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I know but as I wanted to do the full monty and got an afam Q/R for decent money, I decided to go 2 more on the rear.

#52 bettes, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Before you get a drift made up, a member here has one and has done this job recently, get in touch with Air Duck and see what you can organise?

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  13. Swap the l/h and r/h foot pegs over, then put an axle stand under each peg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Managed to crack on a bit with the TLC today and also realised how right you all are about how easy it is to work on this bike compared to the later models.
    Lifted the rear seat unit to change a blown tail light bulb. 2 minute job. Was also happy to see the original tool kit there, still in place. Just glad the shop where I bought it probably hadn't worked out how to lift the seat or they'd have had it!
    After that I cracked on with the milky headlight jobby. Out & back in in less than a couple of hours. Well happy with the results...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks for all the tips & tricks so far.

Ian

• Like Like x 8
  15. Oh and while I had the seat up, I noticed these 2 loose connectors. I imagine one's for the ECU but what would the other one be for?

Cheers, Ian

image.jpeg

16. 3 way is the diagnostic. Does the 2 way have a link wire in the end? If so then it's for the immo circuit of the factory alarm system (when fitted).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Not sure, Chris. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Cheers, Ian

18. Taken your advice mate and just bought one on fleabay. Cheapest I could find was £75 though. Still, I'll feel a lot easier leaving the bike more upright so if it cures the lean problem, money well spent.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information