1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firearm/shotgun Licence

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by yev, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Had a shotgun licence for about 20 years, expired now and I’ve informed plod that all guns are sold and where they’ve gone. They really don’t like a valid licence not showing shotguns held. Staffs civilian firearms bod was ex serious crime, turned up once without any notice to check all guns were present and correct.

2. Wow, Just Wow. A Doctors note? 2 refs? Must list everything you have ever done?
    And that above. If you are listed to have one they have to request special police?

I do have a permit to carry concealed. I guess that is a license. I filled out 1 page, spent $75 and had my license copied and my picture taken. 2 weeks later i had it in the mail. With it. As long as the address matches what is on my license I can purchase and take almost anything home that minute.
    Without that permit it takes three days to pass the check. You still fill out the 1 page, but nothing else.

Without the concealed carry permit, your house/apartment, annd car are considered YOUR property and do not need Anything to have a weapon there. Here in GA any signs on the door that say No Gins mean nothing. Walk right in as long as there is no state or federal law... If they see it and ask you to leave you must otherwise it is trespassing.

Also your employer Cannot tell you that you cannot keep it in your car on THEIR property when you come to work unless the entire garage is locked secure and some cars are swept daily by surprise every day.

I hope you get it. Let us know. It is very interesting how different it is there.
    YET
    Still not as restrictive as NY state. Forget NYC. But even there, even though you have zero chance they do not ask for a Doctors note

3. We don’t have gun massacres weekly for a reason....no offence meant but our countries have different gun legislation and our country seems to have a more affective one than yours..like I said no offence and opinion varies but keep your vest on :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I am good over here.
    It really is NOT what they make it out to be. Statistics can tell whatever you ask.

I just never knew that there were so many different pieces to it. NY is more restricted than you. But with fewer hoops.
    They just take your money first (No refund) and say no.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have a shoot on my land. I don’t shoot myself but the shoot here is organised and run by a syndicate. I have been contacted by police a number of times during the application process for new members. The police are very thorough when it comes to checking people out. You can’t simply own a gun because you want one, you have to have a genuine reason for having it. One of those reasons is you are member of an official organised shoot or you own land which needs pest control. The worry is guns can fall into the wrong hands not just the person who owns it but from people who could gain access to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'm sure a lad in work with me who's going for a larger caliber firearm, mentioned he has to have a mentor to achieve it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. It may vary between forces but here you’re assigned an individual officer that deals with the entire application process from an initial interview to checking medical records and relevant searches and investigations, rather than it just being a general application that’s dealt with by numerous random office staff. The success of the application is based on the individual officers assessment of the applicant.

8. Nobody is allowed a handgun here. Bit difficult to carry your shotgun concealed
    On the upside, people don't get shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Police do not have the power to do this without a warrant and they must show good reason before a warrant is issued - suspision alone is not a valid reason. Of course they can knock on your door and ask but you are under no obligation to allow them to enter.

10. Over the years, I’ve had a number of “appointment” based visits, including one which checked an anomalie with a browning serial no id incorrectly submitted, I work on the principal that if you’ve got nothing to hide then there’s no issue. I like the fact that our police are so vigilant when it comes to firearm ownership

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Just got in from work, its 0747 but I will be doing some statistics on mass shooting this year in ussa. Once I've had 5-6hours beauty sleep, rest assured it won't be an enjoyable read for sane people.

12. I sort of agree with you but, why does it seem that those people who really really shouldn't have a firearm still appear to be to easily able to get them ?
    But forget to mention a traffic offense and you could be denied even a shotgun licence ?

13. @yev you will be able to get a shotgun Cert quite easily, simply by saying you want to take up clay pigeon shooting and your nearest shoot is at xxxx. To get an FAC, which permits you to hold a rifle(s), you’ll need to join a shooting club and as said above they’ll require you’re a member for x months, are of good standing and have completed x hrs/bullets supervised on the ranges. This will limit you to a.22. To go full bore you’ll need a sponsor and again good reason from your club as to why you should be given access to a full bore eg ‘he’s a great shot we need him on the club team’. Alternatively deer culling on your own or AN Others land, with permission, but then you’ll also need a licence to shoot the deer.

It’s a protracted process. The sad thing is it’s easier to get hold of one on the black market where hand-guns are rife:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I bought a BB gun off a mate for cash as a kid - no license :bucktooth:

I'm a desperado I am :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Local firearms officer dispensed advice regarding my licence after I had counselling for depression related to marital issues back in 2008. He said if the marriage looked like it was going to end to get the guns out of the house and stored in someone else's cabinet. Took his advice in 2017, duly informed them of the change of location and they've been in my friend's cabinet ever since. Move to new house of my own rather than rented means I can bolt my cabinet to the wall and get the guns back, much to the relief of my friend. Renewed licence last year with covering letter re-explaining the situation, all good and due to renewal being early by invitation validity is 5 years rather than 4.

Best to seek advice and comply with anything they suggest. They're human beings and usually retired officers. No problems with my guy. I think/hope I'll still be on his patch in Cheltenham.

Used to have an FAC for a semi-auto .22 but gave that up as I couldn't really justify keeping it for just occasional target practice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. @yev -Why do you feel the need to have one? Have you become American? Or a wannabe gangsta? :)

17. What are you going to be doing with your shot gun once you have it

18. I'd recommend a bank job ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Briefly mentioning how many mass shooting in ussa so far 361 (higher of course will be better?!?!?).

Last year there we're a total of 418

Do Not Sell My Personal Information