1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Mat Graham, May 3, 2018.

1. Hi and welcome :upyeah:

I think insurance could be a deciding factor, unless your mega loaded like some oil workers on here :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Z1000 here amongst other bikes I own. Its the most used of the bunch. Yes, its a litre bike but, has a very short ratio box so is perfect for town riding (can cruise at 30 in 6th) quite happily, on the flipside ran out of road at 155 with a bit more to go. Has a large enough displacement to make it incredibly flexible. My 2nd one and owned it for 4years with no plans to sell...

3. Depends on what you want to spend too and how big you are yourself and what you want to do on the bike

If you are tall and strong then heavier bikes should not be an issue

If you are shorter then think maybe a scrambler

If you are thinking New the 1100 scrambler could be. Perfect bike as it’s not too high or heavy and plenty of go

If you want to spend less the. 800 scrambler is also good

Having never ridden the Monster I can not comment but I would assume it’s a great alrounder

If you want to do longer rides then consider the Multi 950 as I am sure that will tick all boxes

Then after a few years you can upgrade to the bigger Multi

4. Not sure I agree. There are some people who just shouldn’t be on a motorcycle, regardless. Similarly there are people that can start/progress on a sports bike with no issues. It is down to the individual in terms of their awareness, restraint, and ability to learn. Anyone starting to ride anything should do some additional training (California Superbike School is my recommendation), however I don’t see why your first bike cannot be a sports bike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was in your position last October. Never ridden a bike before, did the DAS course and bought a bike. The smaller Monster was on my list but my deal (who’s a mate as well) refuses to sell me the monster, on the basis that I would out grow its capabilities quite quickly. Ended up with a Supersport and rode it in urban mode, which drops the power to 74hp and dumbs down the throttle response, for the first couple of months. Then put it in touring mode once confidence grew a bit.

Everyone has their own opinion and experience. This is simply my two pence worth but I would take the make the same decision again in a heartbeat.

6. A monster 796 was my first 'bigger' bike.

It would have also been fine for my first bike aswell.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information