1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 First Experience Out On The 1098

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Neil Bailey, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Good man, well go get one then.

2. That was exactly my reason for buying the 1098S. Wanted it from the day it came out in 2007. It is a beast in terms of power delivery, certainty compared to anything I've ever owned including my earlier 900SS, & it's a pig around town where you're basically riding the clutch all the time but apparently the T14 sprocket kit helps with that so that's the plan at its winter service. Go for it Paul, its the greatest bike I've ever ridden, love it in every way, just keep your weight forward going up through 2nd

3. Thanks Symon, Cupid,

So did you have much bother getting test rides from companies? I would like to get an idea of the difference between say the 999S, 1098S and the 1198S....

4. That might be a tad hard mate, depends on whether they are willing to put trade plates on it so you can have a blast. No new models so no demos available.
    Bite the bullet buy an 1198 :)

5. So out of the three bikes you have, its the 1198 if you had to pick one, i'm 6ft 2 btw..

6. I am 5'11"
    I loved my 848 Evo and 848 Streetfighter but then I bought the Panni always said I didnt need a 1ltr + bike but after having that the 848's felt a little under powered, so Streetfighter got swapped for its bigger sibling the Evo is now a garage ornament and the Panni got swapped for the 1198 only because I prefer the older style, power wise the 1199 won hands down but every time I ride the 1198 I come home with a grin. Try and get a ride on one its ok sitting on it in a shop you get an inkling on whether it will suit yopu but its not till you ride it that you will know for sure not much help sorry but it is a preference thing what suits one doesnt necessarily suit another.
    The streetfighter is my hooligan bike down the back roads through the twistie's its so much fun, the 1198 is head down arse up time long sweeping bends but I can still throw it round some tight corners its very agile. I haven't found much diference between the 848 and the 1198 apart from the power :)

7. The main reseller dealers will let you test a 1098/1198 if they have it for sale. Just give them a call before turning up as I found that they had to prep the older bikes for roadworthiness & insurance purposes, but I had no trouble getting a ride. Bought it from a different dealer in the end but still...

8. You can hang your helmet on the mirrors, once you've like stopped for tea. And speaking of the Superpole seat, I do like that it raises your arse about 45/50mm, but it seriously slopes forward. I wish it were flatter near the rear or more level to the ground. Anyone have issues with it pushing you forward, especially on the track? There are times I want to stay back in the seat and it feels like I'm fighting not only the forces of braking as I set up for a corner but the slope too. Not to mention that it has serious grip and you cannot really slide on it, you have to raise up to move.

#48 DJ23, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  9. Or "Absolutely!" (Another word I've come to detest)

10. snap. Just in case it gets knocked

11. The one thing i am finding the most the more i ride the 1098. I come back feeling it is getting more and more enjoyable. Meeting some of the guys last week at the super sausage (great meet by the way) i rode back and took the long way :) and even then when on my door step i still decided to take an extra long route back to the front door.
    The mirrors are just something you work around. At the end of the day there is enough adjustment to get anything creeping up close to the blind spot or a few meters back.
    Going through town traffic, i just make a lot of noise and get the moneys worth out of the Termis that and annoy the passers by!
    just a little extra rev and clutch and it is all good.
    Will possibly purchase the oberon slave to lighten the clutch a little. Been informed by some good sources here it is worth the investment.

12. You must have a massive house. :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Hey after I've fitted the different trumpets and k&n's plus the mivv system and pipe with no baffle or cat it's a pig at low speeds. I've fitted a mapped ecu just saving the penny's now to get Mark at BSD to give it a proper fettle ... boy does it wheelie now off the throttle in 3rd

• Like Like x 1
  14. LOL

Do Not Sell My Personal Information