1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Ride On The Custard 888

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by wastegate, Aug 29, 2020.

1. You should saddle up And ride with @evoboy ’s latest sweetfighter wrap...

A great combination.. Banana and Custard, it would be soooooo sweet X

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

2. A little clip of my ride last weekend on the way to get suspension checked at Pro Twins. It is just the best sound, also on over-run.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Well a gentle 40 mile tootle around this area revels the fuel warning light isn't working and although it was running at about 65 degrees to start with it went up to 85 and hung around up there after a good run up the local bypass a few times. Will check all fluid levels and look for any leaks tomorrow.

I absolutely love it. Yes there are, and I have had a few, much much faster bikes but this just feels so special and I have reached a time in life where being fastest isn't necessary ( or possible ) and just enjoying a quick ride down some twisty's is more than satisfying. The video from Bridgland is spot on.

Banana and custard, not had that for many, many years :D I am old but I think I know what a wrap is ( other than something nice to eat ), I shall look it up. "Edited to say I just did, that is SO impressive!"

Anyway, my wifes car and custard are going to brighten any dull day .... plus this pic has bins in it so I felt i had to post it up, I will stop there.

IMG_20200830_155146551 (copy).jpg

#23 wastegate, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  4. Loving mine too , done 400 mils on it this month, just can't get enough lovely in yellow and definately different

IMG_8319.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  5. This SP5 For sale at mo is nice but @ £18K not cheap..

5FD2DDC8-7E02-4233-9F5B-2FACDCB3DE73.jpeg

F4D1F665-66CA-4814-9DB0-6C2DF884DD58.jpeg

X

• Like Like x 4
  6. These pics are superb and whatever the colour an 888 looks like a work of art to me. How Ducati has achieved this through so many generations of bike is a bit special and, I guess, why so many are on this site ..... enthusiasts.

7. Nice bike you have.
    If i read correct it has been standing sometime?
    If it was make sure you know when the belts has been changed.

Henk!!!

8. Thanks Henk but it is OK. It was started for 2mins when I bought it and then I took it to an good independent and had belts + all water hoses + chain sprox all changed and a full service plus he sorted a number of other issues ( oil leak from the alternator lead, ohlins remote damper bracket broken etc etc ) and checked all fuel lines in the tank. This autumn the idea is to get some miles on it and sort the inevitable other issues as they come up, getting it ready for next years rides. But I do appreciate any advice, cheers.

At the moment my trailer is left attached to the car and my wife on standby when I go out on it! :D :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. E

10. I bet that doesn't have the original engine. Looking at the dash, it has gone electronic and looks like it has a combined speedometer and rev counter, a bit of a tell-tale of some changes to it's heart. If so, a nice wolf in sheep's clothing.

11. I have an electronic rev counter with a original engine. :)
    What interest me more are the wheels and discs.

Henk!!!

12. I have an electronic rev counter with a original engine. :)
    What interest me more are the wheels and discs

I think some black 5 spokes would look great in a yellow 888 as well.

Henk!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Your a bad, bad man Mr Henk, get thee behind me!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Henk has always been a good/bad influence with the 888s. Depends if you need a little nudge :D

15. Sounds like the temp is about right. Always warm it well.

8123214F-9997-4972-8CA3-3952B8190BE5.jpeg

When the needle is over 80 then I start to feed in more revs.

#36 Fire3500, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  16. I'd never describe a 851/888 as being in sheep's clothing????
    To me they always look like they're up for a fight!
    It looks like a nice SP5 with some very nice "Period" modifications, however in the sales blurb/description it declares the SP5 to be the best 888, other than a genuine 888 Corse surely that title must go the the '92 888SPS?

Steve R

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Many thanks that's gives me a bit more confidence. Finally got the rear seat lock undone and side panels off and checked the coolent level and just on min so probably OK. Might try the air bleed screw in the rear cylinder. Seat lock worn out caused by the overpadded seat making the key go in at a bad angle I guess. What chance finding one of them!

Oh and I finally noticed the droopy left mirror was caused by the left bar being bent up to about to about half the angle it should be ... observant me :(

PS Your garage is fantastic!

18. The mirror is a pretty easy fix, take it off & rough the ball part up with a rasp file. (Have do the mirrors on my Superlight once a year, think 888 the same system)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information