1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First road kill!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pixie1276, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Went out last night and was just slowing down from about 60mph into a 30 when I noticed something in the road, it was a pigeon.......i moved to my left slightly at it was central on myside of the road, he sat there all pigeon like looked at me then he looked to his right, I looked at him and looked to my left.....kerb and a sign post....., I didnt want to brake hard as I would end up being rear ended by Butch.....(not the kind of rear ending I like!!) I thought yep hes going right, nice one Mr Pigeon we shall avoid carnage as there is no way im hitting that sign post and Im sure that you have a family to feed.....oh no Mr dippy Pigeon decided to swoop left he smacked into the side of my nose cone and reichocheted onto my hand and bounced.......somewhere....... I looked in my mirror to see a snowglobe effect of feathers and a red ducati emerging beyond...........anyway needless to say I'm ok the bike is ok but Mr Pigeon is now either dead or hopping around featherless.......

Stupid bloody pigeon!

2. Don't worry about it there are plenty more to take his place. I ran over a squirrel on my push bike as a teenager, it was a really big bump.

3. Although I have several hit me on the bike, usually when they do their silly swooping thing in front of you going in the same direction (they always hit my helmet), I also collected one in the radiatior of the car one day......that was a mess.

The worst one though, was a female pheasant that T-boned the side of my Guzzi when I was doing about 80mph.....when I stopped a couple of miles later, there was a strong smell of fried omelette.....d*mn bird had lost all her eggs right on top of the crankcase between the cylinders....took nearly a year with loads of gunk to get rid of the smell every time I used the bike.

AL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Managed to run over a rabbit the other night on the bike. I was going down hill and it ran out from my right to left, I braked as hard as I could and steered right, and the bugger turned round came back and ran in circles in front of me!! Had to come off the brakes, and bump,bump, bye bye rabbit.

5. Pixie that is a norm with pigeons. I posted not that long ago stupid things you done on a bike. When I see a pigeon I always honk or rev my engine in advance as I know that if I do not it will fly in to me. They are dump animals. On that ocassion I forgot to clutch in first. Pigeon missed my by mm.

6. I've hit a rabbit, as above, slowed and tried to avoid it but it must have been really depressed as it ran straight back for the wheels...... I had to peel it out of the fairings afterwards :(

7. A book recommendation and youtube clip for you all :wink:.

Original Roadkill Cookbook

I hit a badger a couple of years ago, it ran straight out in front of me. I almost avoided it, clipped it with the front fork and then the footpeg.
    I stopped because I couldn`t believe I`d survived this and to see if the badger was ok, but alas it was dead. (didn`t cook and eat it, if you`re wondering)
    The other thing, my so called mates, my buddies!!! didn`t even notice I`d gone missing, that's pals for you :rolleyes:.

#7 Pierre 66, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  8. Major problem up here in Norfolk is we are overrun with Hares, and they are kamikaze little bastards !! Luckily the rabbit didn't get picked up by the wheels and fairing.

9. Wow hares are quite big, I wouldn't like that.

10. What are hares? I think someone here had a meet with a dear as well.

11. I always remember my grandad telling me that he used to shoot rabbits with a catapult when he was younger (before the war) and apparently you always aimed about an inch or two past his tail, because rabbits will see the danger and bolt in the opposite direction to which they are facing. Clever tactic if its faced with a fox but no good if its faced with a Ducati, or my grandad :wink:.

12. Dogs with very long ears and very long back legs and are as fast as a Ducati............

Some people think they are wabbits.....you soon find out they aren't when you hit one............the blood........the horror, the horror....

....sorry, getting carried away, he's a nice man, man....

AL

13. had a owl hit me on the head only stunned it and me, i stopped walked back to it, it woke up and flapped off , last night hit a deer in my car split my bumper low speed it limped off

14. I've had two strikes both in Germany once on on thundercat , bloody blackbird came in from the right I was moving pretty quick and even rolling off couldn't avoid the smack it hit me behind the forks straight into the radiator ..... Cue blast of feathers , panic, and a spray of blood and guts onto my visor .... Eek ... Then when I had my r1 I was wheelying with the visor open , as soon as it went up I got a small bird straight in the face ... I don't know who was more shocked??? As it tried to escape/ claw it's way out as I was shaking my lid violently left and right and trying to find a place to pull up , difficult when you have a panicked bird in your face

15. Did a pheasant at c80mph slowing and took mirror clean off and lift blood up my arm and side of my lisides saw it, almost on grass to avoid it so I was on its back side as they only ever fly forwards, for it to turn round and fly at me. Bit hairy an very lucky to stay on...then there were he two dogs on open country rod, something made me slow as normally very fast section, shot out of a drive 1 in front of me the other behind me....some days are luckier than other

17. I was once hit in the face by a pigeon. Doing about 90mph on the A5 early in the morning, bird flew up without warning. Open face helmet and goggles in those days. Hit me smack in the left eye. Broke the goggles, cracked spectacles, black eye for week. Somehow pulled up to a stop totally blind (straight road, no traffic). No idea about the pigeon, but assume it must have died.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Duke,
    Any good 2 up?

20. Never did but I reckon yes ..... Actually I took my ex about 500m so I'm guessing it'll easily take a pillion +luggage+a small country in the tank bag ..... Lol .... The Mille I had was the best pillion bike I've used mind you emm weighs feck all

Do Not Sell My Personal Information