1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Trackday

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Gricey86, Oct 31, 2017.

1. so I booked my first track day at Mallory on the 12th

Not gonna lie I’m abit nervous
    I’m a confident road rider I’d say I was experienced and can ride well

But any tips on this would be appreciated

Also , anything I should be dooing to the bike in advance? Gonna change oil n filter and spark plugs check the pads etc probably change brake fluids ,

Anyone else on that track day?

Thanks
    Stewart

2. Hydrate, don't do too much and remember to breath. Take time to warm your tyres up and watch the pressures. You will be running at a higher temperature than on the road so you will need to adjust the pressure a bit lower front and rear. If you feel tired or lose concentration come in if you are on track or just take a break for one session. Ride at the pace you are comfortable with, don't fixate on the guy in front and if there is tuition, grab a session with him/her. Most of all relax and enjoy yourself, riding at 75/80% is fine and doesn't reduce the size of your willy one bit :). Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thankyou mate ,

(If it reduced the size of it anymore I’d have to change my passport )

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. that first track day is so special Stewart, you won't want to come off the track. Above all, Relax and enjoy yourself.

5. When i did mine I went in novice and went apeshit, late breaking and stupid lines but at Silverstone it didn't matter as much. I should have gone into inters straight away as I could have caused mayhem o_O I did have tyre warmers though and if you can then borrow some!!!
    So far I have felt safer not going again - although mainly due to work / business / splitarses & time commitments though :(
    When I'm retired I might do 3 a week like Andy Android :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. my first was at mallory too great circuit to do first as its small and easy to learn, but its hard work in my opinion as once you get used to it, as its so small feels like you been out for ages and no long straights to have a rest, as mentioned if you get tired just come back to the pits for a breather, also eat and drink often, dont have a massive meal lunch time as your feel half a sleep when you go back out, take loads of water with you especially if its a warm day. If the breifing doesnt mention it tape up your speedo and remove or tape up your mirrors. I know it sounds daft but look where your going not whats happening around you including behind you hence the mirror removal, marshals and instructors do that.

most of all have a cracking day you will love it, its very addictive as most will tell you. make sure you get some pics up. :upyeah:

7. warm your tyres (not necessarily with warmers - I don't bother on track days, but there again it is quite cold),
    Make sure all your kit is in good condition before going - lid/gloves/leathers/boots/back protector - bike - make sure the pads have meat on them, ditto that your tyres are good (who supplied them - talk to them about track pressures - they will sound hair-curlingly low at first (as an example, I run 25psi(?) cold in my supercorsas on the 600).

Get there in good time (there's the briefing and noise-testing to be done as well as eating lard and coffee before going out) - there's no point putting pressure on yourself by rushing.

Track lines are different to road lines and may not make sense at first. Is tuition being offered? take it if you can. (It's not hard, you will be able to master it easily, but it is different).

How much do you move around when you road ride? do the funky chicken as you go onto the track to get your shoulders nice and floppy.

Mallory is a little circuit - will only take you a few laps to learn - but a damn sight longer to master

enjoy yourself - it's not a race. Well, not unless some b*gger on an equal bike overtakes you... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Take your time , build your speed up through the day.
    Spend 2 - 3 laps warming your tyres each session, as its November and it will be cold.
    Get some tuition.
    take it very steady exiting Edwinas and the Bus Stop until you have some heat in your tyres.Then still take it steady exiting Edwinas and the Bus Stop.
    Remove or tape your mirrors up, dont worry too much about whats behind you.
    Enjoy it.
    Get your next track day booked.

• Like Like x 1
  9. All good info above. Make sure you take a pressure gauge even if it's just a cheap one and get your tyres to the correct pressures front and rear before going out and again as soon as you get back in for the first few sessions. Varies depending on your tyre type but generally it should be 32psi front and 28-30 rear hot for a novice group rider , so stick it 31/28 before you go out and check when you come in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I’ve just done my fourth track day and still arrive feeling inadequate cos I don’t have tyre warmers, track stand, tool box’s, wet tyres. HOWEVER don’t be put off cos you’ll probably end up overtaking some of these enthusiasts!

• Like Like x 1
  11. matey, I've done a few dozens, raced three seasons, won some trophies and still feel nervous and inadequate every time I go :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. matey, I've done a few dozens, raced three seasons, won some trophies and still feel nervous and inadequate every time I go :)

13. Need to stop getting naked at the tracks @bradders

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I get intimidated by race bling!

15. Thats only after I win or after I'm wheeled off in the ambulance ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. I love seeing what bling people throw at there bikes and it turns out to be a waste of money. Only thing I don't scrimp on is tyres and brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thanks for all the advice lads , Iv ropes a mate in to come with me and watched loads of videos of the track read loads of advice and I’m really excited , this for me is a taster , next year I’ll have some more suitable tyres on the bike and be abit more prepared , this one is my impulsiveness taking over any rational thinking lol , cannot wait to get out n give the 748 a hiding

18. I remember on a very early track day I did at Mallory on my CBR600. In the slow group, there were a couple of "Gixxer Thou" riders with the tribal tattoos and the funny mid-calf trousers talking a very good game. After out-braking one into Gerrards, I thought I was the bee's knees. Until an instructor went round the outside of me going round the GSXR, looked round, gave me a wave and b*ggered off into the distance...

19. 1st TD in November, wear thermals.

20. no matter how fast you think you are there always someone faster, usually a lot faster. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information