1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Flaking Followers

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by andy j, Jul 3, 2018.

1. I'm doing the timing belts on my 748 and decided to check the followers while i was in there. Some of them the chrome has gone. I have read that Newman cams will re-coat them. Are there any options out there or will i be best just contacting Newman cams? What sort of costs should i expect to have the followers redone?

2. I replaced a open rocker back in 2015 and Ducati charged me £133.18 :eek:there's Mark up and there's Ducati Mark up:thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  3. If the chrome has completely gone you'll also need to check the surface of the cam lobes for excessive wear. If they have worn this will also mean checking the shims

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Newmans will braize a peice of stellite on the roacker and regrind to the correct profile

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Email Stuart or David [email protected] or [email protected] or call them. Singles are around £37.50 + vat each and they usually take around 2-3 weeks. Their address and contact number is:
    Newman Cams
    2 Farnborough Way
    Farnborough
    Kent
    BR6 7DH
    01689 857109

Edit, if you want to see what they are like when done I have few and will take a photo or two if you like

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. I will give Newman cams a phone tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 1
  7. How did you get on , I am seeing some fillings in the Oil pickup screen

8. Another vote for Newman. I several openers flake, got them all 'Newmanised' and not had a problem since.

Not only is it a proper 'fix' they're also much cheaper than replacing with Ducati parts. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. thanks

Just out or curiosity, does it happen to all bikes at some point; lotto if it doesnt

Considering mine is a 2002 , I read it was allegedly address post 2000

10. They're all potentially going to flake, whatever Ducati tell you the new rockers are as bad as any other. I bought a complete set of new rockers as I got them for a good price, some of them flaked as well.

I've still got a few lying around both new and used but I wouldn't personally fit them as it's not worth it, given that Neman will fix them for £40ish and then you'll have no more problem.

It was a disgrace that Ducati didn't recall/replace them all FOC, especially because for a while they were doing in the USA. But here they charged £100+ for the part plus fitting and denied it even being an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thanks!

Might get them done or throw in a 916 engine

12. Haven’t heard of testastretta motors flaking - are you saying they do it too??

13. I was referring to the old Desmoquattro engines, I don't think Testastretta have the problem anywhere like the DQs did? but I seem to recall someone on some forum saying they'd had some failures.

14. Was in with the mechanic, strip and inspection is in order

Worse case , what do cams cost

15. You don't want to know.

That said, it would have to be have been neglected for a long time to damage the cam, plus you could get them repaired (by Newmans) or find used on ebay.

16. Ive got a flaky follower, but Ive put him on ignore.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 7F6116B1-D7AE-4EF5-BB6D-A8A12B4AF525.jpeg
    From my S4rs monster a few years back.

18. Carlo, your bike is a MY01 registered in 02. The problem most affected bikes built in 99 and 00 which were MY99 to MY01 (roughly coincident to the 996 production period)

• Like Like x 1
  19. IMG_0012.JPG
    The one on the right has been refurbished with the stellite inserts. As Duke stated all Testastretta engines can be afflicted, some much more readily/often than others. I am on the originals (touch wood) at over 40k miles on a bike built in 2001

IMG_0013.JPG

20. Not got round to it yet. Unfortunately after a whole year of waiting and being told that my 2014 monster dash was going to be changed under warranty they have now decided not to honour it. So the money I had for the followers is now being spent on a new dash. Might be towards the end of the year before I see about getting them done.

• Crap Crap x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information