1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Fogarty Replica 996

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Steve Whitton, Jan 31, 2021.

1. On a small traffic island near the Misano race circuit in Italy. I took this photo when we were there for the 2018 MotoGP
    Misano-Sun-Mon (199 of 200).jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Interesting reading that the decals were put onto the bikes by the various dealers who sold them at the time. So I guess none were ever lacquered over from the factory upon release which if that’s the case then it must have been even harder trying to keep them in perfect undamaged condition.
    Saying all of this was the first UK only Foggy replica bike a real deal machine like Ducati tend to release these days ( S versions, R versions etc ) or was it just cashing in on the Foggy fame and interest and a
    way of raising the extra money for his contract deal as talked about in earlier posts.

3. Lots came with the decals in a box with the other tat and the owners fitted them themselves, or not.
    I had mine lacquered in from new.
    There were no Rs really back then. The sp and sps bikes were the homologation specials. As already mentioned, the 202 issue of bikes were to allow the homologation of the kyalami frame modification.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Interesting about the decals, wise decision getting the decals lacquered over. Do you still own the bike now and if so hopefully it’s in great condition, if not when what year did you sell it and at what price as it’s interesting seeing the prices these are demanding through the years.

5. No, I traded it against a 996R after a year or two. Dont recall price as it was more "price to change" and that will have probably been 2-3k ish.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. It a personal choice at the end of the day for anyone shelling out on big notes on these motorcycles,because what the bike represents for that period in the Ducati history books,also i can see them climbing much further north in the future.As for No R's around at the time,these're them before Ducati rebranded the lettering.....perhaps much cheaper for the factory when ordering up labels with less lettering required for manufacturing.;)

Edited,How's the OP getting on out of interest. :thinkingface:

#26 XH558, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  7. This is why i'm glad i didn't buy Ducati's back in 1994,because they'd all have been sold years ago,and i would be kicking myself senseless in not still owning them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Come on Steve,let's have a photograph then.:)

9. that bike is wrong in quiet a few areas, Wrong graphics, wrong front fairing, wrong rear seat fairing, wrong exhausts.

10. Which bike??

11. My 2 pence worth, Ian falloons book 'Ducati story' says there were 202 foggy reps for the UK market (one to foggy and one to factory), a further 150 for the European market and 100 for north America. Make of that what you will.

12. Those Red wheels look so wrong :mad:

13. All 202 UK Foggy repliuca bikes were the same and have the same graphics. There is a SPF for Europe but I was told that the F stands for Factory and not Foggy. I have two Foggy's....number 16 and 153 and they are identical. There is only one batch of Foggy reps. If it has different graphics on it, it is becasue they have been changed for whatever reason.

14. Is that the definitive reference book for the history of the 748/916/996/998 models? If not, what should I read instead?

15. No idea! It's a book I got a few years ago detailing Ducati history. Well worth a read if you can find it, pays particular attention to the 916 family.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Agree, that bike is wrong on so many points!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. mate you quoted your own post :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Unfortunately, some of the information in some of the posts is not correct. I have owned 3 Foggy reps and still have two of them (sold one a few years ago for £12k). I also own #001 916SPS; trust me, they do not ride the same. Might be the change to the rear bracing tube to increase the airbox volume and the wheels but the Foggy reps definitely goes and handles better than the 916SPS. I also have a 999R MK1, Fila 999R, a 1098R and 916 Senna III and the best bike without a doubt is the.......Fila 999R

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have an original bill of sale for one of my Foggy reps and it was £20,500 dated 08.07.1998. The inflation calculator states that in today's money that would be - £36,495.59. Coincidently what a low mileage mint one would cost today.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information