1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Fork Bottoms

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by BladeRR8, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Great info nelly,
    I have replaced most bolts with Grade 5 torx titanium and coat of anti seize would you advise sticking to the spec torques?

2. Yep. Always stick to stock torque figures. While the screws/bolts may be able to take more, it's the assembly that dictates the torque values.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks very much, alway interested with what you have to say.

4. Also use the correct thread lube specified.

Never mind putting bolts in dry, different types of thread lubricant can have hugely different coefficient's of friction which can have doubling of torque values to achieve the same bolt stress which ultimately is what is being achieved.

5. Especially with Ti.

6. Any chance you guys could be a bit more specific rather than spouting doom? ;)

7. Ti behaves differently than alloy, would be worth a google as can’t remeber if it means more or less torque. And the thread lock I think is different. There have been threads on this before.

People (me included) often replace the bots with nice sutainless or Ti, and either grab what’s in the garage or buy sets of bolts that look about right. The turn out to be a little longer/shorter than standard.

8. Remember that the bolt hole is still Alu and that is the weak point to consider, not necessarily just the bolt. TBH, I mostly adopt the same methodology as Brad. Right tool, tighten by hand. I only really torque up critical bolts. Im not a fan of Ti bolts. I prefer ductile steel. If they get furry, I replace with new oem.

After 30 odd years spannering, you get a feel for tightening stuff up. Ive not had owt fall off. Except a Gilles gear lever on m25 on 1198, which left me in 2nd for journey home. My fault as i'd not given it a tweak after adjusting it.

9. You could squeeze 50nm on a exhaust cover on an 848 and it will still rattle out....I have Ti bolts, but after I had an exile get cross threaded and stuck in my old K5, I was so glad I resisted the Ti axle as I had to hacksaw it out. Couldn’t do that with Ti....

10. You could run those fairing screws up to rear wheel torque and the feckers will still rattle off. I lost count of the heat shield ones on my 1198. I still have 3 sets, inc heat fibre washers, as spares. For me its those and the fairing screws.

The 1299 seems better.

11. On low torque screws, M4, M5 etc. used in fairings and the like, try a few wraps of plumbers PTFE tape on the threads, or a spot of silicon. It won't set hard like thread lock but will/usually solves all the vibration related issues with screws falling out. Both are fine with the heat on the exhaust shields as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. The titanium stuff is beautiful and functional, not meaning to offend but I think I may take the advice of nelly. Before I decided to change about 100 bolts to titanium people said some really weird stuff regarding titanium.
    I did the research and after seeing them on the 1199 and 1299SL I was keen to go ahead and am very happy. I do my own servicing (always have) and don't foresee any problem with Ti.

I was just asking about torque values and titanium and nelly answered.
    It's funny what people say when you want to reduce weight on a motorcycle, we purchase a Pani for many reasons which includes it's light weight and when you start lightening it a bit more others spout about me loosing a couple of pounds instead hahaha but i'm not fat :)

13. Ti looks nice. I have no problem with that. But I'll be jiggered if Ill pay the extra just for looks when a normal bolt does the job. But thats just me. I just prefer cold rolled threads. My bike could lose 2kg and Im still not good enough to notice. Probably. :)

14. Have it everywhere if you like, sounds like you’ve done the research so should know which are avisabke to fit for some components and which aren’t, plus any amendment to be made for torque values (if any)

#34 bradders, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  15. yah yo7 like bro
    advisaband taliban no!

16. As I said before
    'It's funny what people say when you want to reduce weight on a motorcycle'
    Why fix it if it ain't broke or this is the way we've always done it etc.
    Have you made any modifications or improvements to your bike?

17. Ive no probs if you do what you wanna do abes, old bean. None at all. If I had the spare wedge, id prob do the same.

Answer is yes, but generally mods to make pani more rideable for me and heat mitigation. I have to spend wisely. Im not loaded alas.

I'd still prefer cold rolled though.

18. Edited so it at least makes half sense, even to those with brains like mine...

19. I must have lost half a dozen screws from the exhaust heat shield on my 1199 during a recent track day, despite threadlock. The ones I saved had to be given an extra 1/8 of a turn after each 20 minute session. What the heck are you supposed to use to keep them in?!?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information