1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork Covers/shrouds - Any Idea Where I Can Get ‘em?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Zhed46, Nov 11, 2019.

1. There is indeed a sad inevitability about that sentence, yes. :yum

2. Wait you're confusing me... You were buying them partly for

Best to buy Ohlins now, effectively getting £400 discount and resolve the supply problem! LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I’ll still know what’s under the shrouds but won’t be getting reminders every 10 seconds!

It’s not so much that I can’t afford to get an Ohlins and radial brake set up. It’s more that when I sit down and calculate what this bike has cost in mods, I have to look at the numbers with one eye closed. ‘Tis the way of all projects though and what starts off as a supposedly relatively cheap and simple idea gets out of control, not just because you keep throwing bling at the bike, but also because changing one thing often causes an issue elsewhere and the cost of solving all those little problems adds up. A prime example of this being the realisation that I might end up changing the rearsets - the seating/riding position has changed slightly, and so it feels like ideally, my feet need to be inch or two further back but the Spider rearsets are now at the limit of their adjustment.....(so if I do that, there’s another £300+). Another example was the carbon wheels - according to BST (very helpful people btw) they “should” have bolted straight on, but they didn’t, as the spokes of the rear wheel were slightly fouling the rear face of the brake calliper (itself not the original S4 item) which then needed to be milled in order to provide clearance.

I won’t even mention how much money and workshop time I’ve spent trying to get a headlight set up that I like, as it’s embarrassing, especially as in the end I have gone with a set up I used on another project a few years ago :confounded:

I also feel at this point I should give a shout out to the workshop which has done the work on the bike which is beyond the scope of my skills or my facilities, ie: most of it (I only have a yard and a small shed, so very limited) - Ray Petty Meccanica/Death Machines of London (DMOL), in Greenwich. Unlike many places where they’re only interested in working on bikes where they can simply unbolt one part and fit an identical one in its place, Ray has a real “can do” attitude and rather than finding excuses for why something can’t be done, he finds creative solutions which bring my madcap ideas to fruition. His mechanic Max has the same approach and George the apprentice, likewise.

Roy at Alchemy Parts in Potters Bar has also been an absolute star who has demonstrated forbearance above and beyond the call of duty. For example, I must have bought but then following a change of mind, returned for a refund at least 60% of his headlight inventory alone over the past few years :rolleyes:

(I’m also going to copy and paste those last two paragraphs into the project thread)

#23 Zhed46, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I know what you mean with the mods & the knock on effects which transistions to spend... Luckily for me I have arrived at the point where I am in so far over my head I can't go back. So it removes the need to to give these things any consideration!

PS.
    My Showas are going to be converted by Maxton or get Andreani complete internals. I think its the best option and not based on price.

5. Remind me what you’re building....

Agree with you re: the rebuild. I’m thinking something similar with mine as I imagine the fork oil will be like water now.

In other (good) news, Paolo has just messaged to say he can supply the fork covers in carbon. I must have been pretty persuasive as this time two days ago it didn’t sound hopeful. I wonder if there’s a job I can do where that attribute might come in handy?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. More like endlessly meddling with my 900ie and slowly replacing "upgrading" most parts! I suffer like many others with CF addiction, desire for lightness and a lack of fiscal control regarding my bike. The engine/ gearbox internals are all changed, as is the seat/ wheels/ exhaust / yokes/ lights/ bars/ gearing via sprockets/ brake lines/ mapping etc etc

The nitron rear shock/ slipper clutch is bought & awaiting instalation. Fork internals soon too.

Still I had a yacht once and that was worse!

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information