1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Fork Oil

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Multi - 1200s skyhook - Sachs forks

Quick question. Is the Motul Fork Oil Factory Line 2.5w - Very Light the correct oil for the Skyhook Sachs forks?

Will be replacing the steering head bearings and thought will be a good opportunity to replace the fork oil as well -over 65k miles with original oil but having a problem to find out what's the right oil or specification to use.

Many thanks

2. Well done on tbe mileage btw. I put 7.5 in mine.

3. @gmoss - Thanks on the mileage -still going strong! Is yours the Skyhook model with the Sachs forks?

4. You should be able to download an owner’s manual from the Ducati web site. I did a quick check and it looks like both the manual suspension and the Skyhook use 7.5w. Andy

5. @Android853sp - I have the workshop manual for the 2014 1200s and is confusing. It says in the oil specs Shell 7.5 but in the fork overhauling pages it says :-
    "Refitting the LH fork leg
    Set fork leg in a vertical position and fill with fluid OJ RACING SPECIAL FORK Sae 3.6 at 100 at 40° 14.4, quantity 239 cc ± 5 cc in the left-hand leg;"
    --
    This spec is equivalent to Motul Fork Oil Factory Line 2.5w - Very Light.

Spec page :- "Front fork SHELL - Advance Fork 7.5 or Donax TA 580±5 g - 660±5 cc" - This equivalent to Motul Light / Medium - 7.5w

Can you see my confusion now? Which one is right?

6. Mmmm, yes, I can see the confusion. IMO, I’d ignore any reference to racing special fork oil as this would not be routinely available over the counter. IME with a ‘12 1200S and an ‘11 Diavel, 7.5 is the standard viscosity although I went down to 5 on the Diavel just to soften it for a lightweight rider. Andy

7. Yup.

8. Beware when changing fork oils. Although different manufacturers may use the same SAE number they are not all the same, with some big differences in actual viscosity.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hi Derek, I agree with you.
    It's a minefield - a strange set of standards.
    If could at least find out which statement in the service manual is right for the skyhook sachs forks then from the specs I could hopefully work out the equivalent.

On top of this the difference between the two types in the service manual is huge.

10. There’s confusing information in the Manuals regarding what hydraulic fluid should be used in Ducati forks.
    Shell Donax TA should only be used in Showa forks.
    Shell Advance Fork 7.5 should only be used in Ohlins forks.

The Ducati Owners Manuals and Workshop Manuals fail to make this distinction. They suggest that these two fork oils offer equivalent damping properties. They don’t. They have significantly different viscosities.

Here are the fork manufacturers specified products for Ducati forks
    Showa — Suspension Fluid SS-08 (10 Wt): Measured 36.5 cSt @40C
    (Pro Honda SS-8 (10 Wt) Fork Oil is the same fluid)
    Ohlins — Front Fork Fluid 1309 (9 Wt): Measured 19.0 cSt @40C

Compare Viscosities:
    Shell Donax TA: Measured 34.9 cSt @40C
    Shell Advance Fork 7.5: Measured 22.0 cSt @40C

Ducati has over the year) changed the recommended fluid for Ohlins and Showa forks. AGIP was specified before Shell — of course, AGIP was the sponsor for Ducati racing activities before Shell took over — so it's no surprise to see only Shell Products recommended in the Owners and Workshop Manuals.

Sachs Fork Oil
    Workshop Manual:
    Formula Italy OJ Racing Special Fork Oil SAE 3.6 centiStokes at 100°C, 14.4 at 40°C
    Available on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/373821029575?hash=item5709783cc7:g:EYgAAOSwYhRhsfCz

Best alternative to OJ Racing spec is:
    Torco - RSF Racing Shock Fluid Light 1l - T820005CE $20/liter

11. @Shazaam! Thanks
    I believe I have all the info now to find the right fork oil that is also available in UK.
    Now I need to find the courage to start the job - replace steering head bearings and fork oil
    Thanks all - all appreciated

12. Can't you ring your local stealership and ask them what you need and buy it from them?

13. A good fork oil should have a VI rating of at least 150.
    Picture 2021-12-19 at 3.32.02 PM.jpg

14. Looking at Derek's chart this one could be right and is available in UK.
    Maxima Racing Fork Fluid 85/150 5wt Fork Oil 15.9 3.5 150 Petroleum

@Siddo - I did and they pointed the Motul 7.5. I didn't have the energy to discuss it further : unamused:.

15. It's not so bad. Youve done well, my head bearings were screwed by 45000miles .You may aswell do fork seals as well.

16. Just for completion -
    I have replaced the steering head bearings and replaced the fork oil.
    Lower steering head bearing was the main problem - bit of rust and a few "dents". I replaced them with same as the original - NTN Steering Bearing & Seal Kit SKU: 100011553. Decided not to go for taper ones... let's face it the originals lasted for 65k miles :).

Fork oil was filthy and black. Replaced it with Torco RSF Racing Shock Fluid T820005CE (as suggested).

I decided not to change the seals. Possibly a mistake... we will see.

Start to finish almost 4 days. Most time was removing the fairings, tank etc to get to the steering bearings. Was quite easy to remove and fit the bearings.
    Worst part believe it or not was fitting back the front mudguard black extension.
    Thank you all for your help and wish you a Happy New Year!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information