1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Fork Seals.

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Birdie, Nov 3, 2019.

1. I've read a few comments and decided to stay with what is recommended as it's only used on the road, I've ordered some Motul 7.5w Factory Line.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Is 7.5W recommended in the workshop manual? 5W is usual for cartridge forks like yours.

Be prepared to adjust the damping settings as I think you wil notice a big change in feel.

TB

3. Yes. 7.5 recommended. Will have to see then, they have been serviced before I got the bike but I Havnt a clue what was in.
    I also followed advice on this thread. https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/posts/871019/
    Steve

#23 Birdie, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Well @nelly should know what he's talking about, and you've ordered the oil. Left to my own devices I would would have gone for 5W and 110 mm air gap not the 132 mm quoted in the thread, how about that.

TB

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Oil and seals arrived today, will start reassembly tomorrow but I will be waiting for the seal driver to arrive before I can finnish, unless I get impatient and find another method of getting them seated!!
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. I found I had to give them a right old bash with the seal driver, much more than I was comfortable with. On my first attempt I didn't drive it home far enough as I didn't want to bash it too hard, it's a bit like a slide hammer up and down the fork leg, but once I realised I needed to apply quite some force it was ok. I think..........:confused:

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Seal driver arrived from China yesterday£16 delivered.
    Forks now reassembled and started refitting this morning.
    IMG_20191116_114254.jpg
    One part I made and one I purchased to make single handed disassembly and reassembly easy. I also knocked up a dip stick to measure oil height.
    IMG_20191116_110543.jpg
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  8. My 748 doesn't have a hole for a headstock stand did your drill yours or came like on your year model?

9. I drilled mine.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Good idea that, save a bit of hassle, Kept your original painted wheels :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steve, could you please post a picture of the drilled hole when you take it off the stand. Just so I can see exactly where it is as it's useful. TIA

• WTF WTF x 1
  12. It's directly below the headstock tube, central.
    Steve

13. Not drilled into the headstock tube surely?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Had another hour putting her back together this morning, too cold over the weekend. Now all done.
    IMG_20191118_112350.jpg
    Easier job doing the seals than I thought single handed.
    Steve

• Like Like x 4
  15. Top job, Steve.
    Paul, @West Cork Paul, this where I drilled mine. 16mm or 15 hole. Got a mate to drill the hole using his lathe to keep the hole central to the steering stem.

E60874BF-B700-4FDF-9C4F-06DB1EF3FB24.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Thanks Ian, perfect:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information