1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forks - Improvement / Replacement Advice Please

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by p murphy, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Standard

2. Steve tube length of a 1992 900ss is 175mm so all good!

So all good my end, just talking to Forsaken Motorsport to get an extra triple clamp and I can take off the Suzuki front end... Though tempted to try the Suzuki and 848 front end back to back with a lunch time swap at a track day to be a bit scientific about the change :)

But should be on track for an early September swap.

3. Andrew

I'm in no rush and we need to talk cost - pm me at [email protected], when you have sorted replacement set up ?

Patrick

4. any japanese 50/54 setup will slide straight in to your existing yokes.
    The caliper spacing will be 108mm and should you want brembo look to zx10r or GSXR750/600 models who had them as standard fit from certain model years.
    The only thing to be mindful of is fork length. The travel on most sportsbike forks is 120mm, the same as the SS.

The stock wheel on the 900ss has 100mm disc mounting face track width and so you'd need spacers under your wheels to bring them out to the radial width.
    You want to keep the standard wheel or setup unless you really want to start dicking around with speedo drive mods.

You'll need to make some spacers up for the reduction in front spindle diameter, as they all run 25mm axles.

Also by sliding into exisiting yokes you keep OEM geometry intact as well.

:)

#24 Sev, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  5. Thanks for all the continuing replies.

My other bike at present is a very worked over Aprilia Falco with Ohlins rear shock and MCT (?) sorted fork legs - although it is a heavy bike cf the Ducati, the quality of suspension is apparent and leave the Duke very wanting in that department .....

Ducati update so far:

I dropped off the standard forks to be fitted with replacement hyperpro spring kit to see if this would make much difference.. Tech dismantled forks and then advised replacement springs were wrong length - after some faffing around returned kit to supplier for full refund and just put fork legs back with 4 weight oil, standard air gap.
    This is better but not a long term solution as I still have no easy adjustability.
    Also ditched the front brake pads and put in EBS HH set - just bedding them in but a noticeable improvement and I wonder if the old set were glazed or just naff.
    Will bumble around in the remaining decent weather and consider more radical change to the forks next month.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HAHA laughing as it reminds me of my first race monster. Had terrible dive, and no cash to fix. So removed springs, which were progressive, cut off the progressive bit (the springs coil differently top to bottom so the softer end), cut some plastic piping to fit, fitted and set air gap. First time out, sat too high so at Brands a mate helped me pull the tops off, cut down the tune by about 5mm, back in and away. Worked a treat and did me all year, good enough to win a few races too :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information