1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forks - Standard 1992 900ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by gaz92, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Few pics.
    P1040799.JPG
    2" pipe coupling to hold. Thought I had loosend while on bike but obviously not. P1040800.JPG
    32mm deep socket P1040801.JPG
    Home made tool. 2" pipe 60.3 std sched 3,9 wall nicely fits over top of forks. M12 threaded rod ground to bottom of threads just fits in holes. Was going to weld nuts but could not fine any black ones but it seemed strong enough with the nut just nipped up P1040802.JPG
    P1040803.JPG
    Ratchet strap removes the need to grow a 3rd arm. P1040804.JPG
    14mm / 17mm spanner P1040806.JPG
    Oil looks clean enough.

Cheers Gaz

P1040797.JPG

#21 gaz92, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nice work, I must make myself something like that

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Few more pics. Proof I am changing seals.
    P1040808.JPG
    A couple of tentative pulls and 3 forcefull pulls and the seal came out.
    P1040810.JPG
    There are holes in the shaft so would tape up to stop the seals being nicked on installation as they pass over hole.

Might give these a go, double seal back to back.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/41x54x11-...680118?hash=item21174a83b6:g:PLcAAOSw8gVX4oFa

For assembley (from Haynes)
    damper rod bolt 35Nm
    damper rod locknut 20Nm (not sure how to do that probably try to remember how tight it was)
    fork top bolt 35Nm
    yoke pinch bolts 8mm thd 20-25Nm 10mm thd 35-38Nm
    steering head nut 40-45Nm

Cheers Gaz

4. Do you think these need changing?
    Bike mileage 12k
    lower bearing
    P1040828.JPG
    upper bearing
    P1040830.JPG

I must admit I am a little confused. I can't seem to find these on my parts catalogue. The Showa does not show them and the Marzocchi shows something like what I want but I though the forks where Showa. Can any one enlighten me.

Cheers Gaz

5. I think this thread from Nov 2014 shows the numbers from K-Tech (thanks SEV), also just looked and Brooks does them.

900ss Carby Fork Gubbins - Seal Part Numbers Etc.

Forks Oil Seals Part No:- FSS-007, £14.83 per pair + VAT
    Forks Dust Seals Part No:- DSS-007, £15.77 per pair + VAT
    Fork Guide Bush Part No:- GBS-007 £8.94 per pair + VAT
    Fork Slide Bush Part No:- SBS-009 £9.79 per pair + VAT

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/fork-bushes/ducati-900ss-genuine-fork-slide-bushes-91-07.html
    £14.09
    https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/fork-bushes/ducati-900ss-genuine-fork-guide-bushes-91-07.html
    £12.86

Anyone got any Ducati numbers.

Cheers Gaz

6. Putting back together. Tape up under seal housing as this can move down when you are putting the seal, this did leave me scratching my head for a while wondering what had happened as I thought it was screwed but its not and just butts up to a snap ring.
    P1040843.JPG
    I found a trick on the internet with tape. wrap it round as square as you can, I used this to knock the top bush in (I suppose if you build it up you could do the seal but would be better pushing it in further to the outside) P1040842.JPG
    The seal went in pretty easy and I used a drain pipe connector from B&Q split in two just to push it down (packing it out in the middle helps a bit), so saved £30 on a seal driver. Oh yeh the wife was out and I did it in the kitchen, it was warmer in there.
    P1040840.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  7. I've found it a bit tricky to work out the different oil's specs to compare, some give cst but some don't appear to. Found this:
    https://transmoto.com.au/Comparative-Oil-Weights-Table/
    I had planned to possibly go for a Motul Expert oil and their 10W oil is rated at 35.35.9 in comparison to the Showa SS8 of 36.8 so I may plump for that.

8. Not sure about your comparisons but imho, the standard 7.5 is far too heavy and contributes to the frame cracking these bikes are known for.
    After my frame cracked, I used a mix of 2.5 and 5.0 in my SS and found that about right.

9. Sorry, I'd meant to reply to my own thread about removing the fork tops ...
    The Motul oil was one a reasonably local place stocks - I should have typed the cst value from that website as 35.9 although looking again at the Motul website I do see that they quote a viscosity of 36.2 @40 and 6.1 @100, whilst the Putoline HPX R 7.4 is 32.10 / 6.3 for the same temps which maybe indicates it starts as less viscous but does not reduce as much as it is worked more and the temperature rises.
    Will do some more reading around before making a purchase.

10. Can’t say as I’ve ever noticed any reduction in fork oil viscosity as the forks are worked more.
    Not saying it doesn’t happen but I’ve never noticed it

11. I used 50/50 SAE 10 and SAE 5 in my Marzocchi non-adjustables; in the Showa fully adjustables, I had FL10 in them.

I like a fairly hard suspension set-up on sports bikes.

My '97 SS frame didn't show any signs of cracking at all.

AL

12. My Marzzochis were rock hard on 7.5 and I'm sure that contributed to the frame cracks - the frame was deflecting more than the forks... lol

13. Should have lost some weight ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. No will-power... :(

15. Marzocchis are peculiar anyway - one leg damps compression, the other damps rebound. Never liked that set-up, but they are OK for road going bikes, I guess.

16. With lighter oil, to me they felt remarkably similar to the Showas on the 999 but I'm no racer.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information