1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Found Crack In Frame Part Is It Structural

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by cmyers_uk, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Found this crack and want to know if its structural , appreciate it can't be good but is it safe to ride. I have a mig welder but don't know if its weldable i.e is it some weird alloy :) One of the main dealers who's been servicing the bike were kind enough to hide it under some insulation tape. If can weld it what do i have to do to make sure i don't fry things , remove , ecu;s and dash as an example. Puzzled from Bristol. Regards Chris

IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG

2. Need to pan back for the big picture to see a location. A crack in a structural component is safety critical. Andy

3. That's in the area around the steering lock plunger

Looks like someone had a go at trying to break the steering lock at some point to try and steel the bike

Looks to me like some kind of metal alloy, not sure it will weld to easy..?

Can you not get a replacement part..?

4. It also looks like a vibration fracture rather than force.
    TIME TO CHECK OUR MUTLEYS (AGAIN)?

5. @cmyers_uk
    The crack is in steel. It is part of the main frame. There is a small bridge-shaped bracket welded to the top of the main frame just behind the steering head, and it is this bracket which has cracked. The hands-free ignition unit is attached to it with two special bolts (which screw in from underneath), as can be seen in your photos.

No, it is not safety critical. The bracket which has cracked must contribute very little to the structural strength of the frame.

Yes it could be welded. But it would be necessary to do a great deal of dismantling work first, of both bodywork and electrical components, and obviously reassembly afterwards.

6. Maybe a little more history as well Chris. You say a main dealer may have "obscured" the fault, have you just bought it, just had it serviced?

7. Thank you for all the replies. Found the frame diagram and can see it clearly now . Given the frame is bolted on the engine and the fuel tank is bolted either side of the bracket its does appear more a bracket to hold the ignition than anything critical to the frame. It can't fall off as its welded to the frame. From the look of where its cracked it is weakness as its where the weld is / vibration rather than someone breaking it trying to force the steering lock. For reference its a 2011 with 39k on the clock used all year round, I've had it since new no issue with any dealer just surprised they put tape over it and didn't mention it no idea which one they have been a few different but all main ducati. Cheers Chris

Given I've decided its a bracket maybe some liquid metal or the like would put my mind at ease.

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 17.57.38.png

8. It's not making the frame any stronger, but it was designed to be one peice and not two.
    I'd now be worried about metal fatigue and either half coming a drift near the steering.
    Strip it and get it welded,

9. Thank you for all the replies , ill fix it of course . Kind Regards Chris

10. Chris, how did you get on with this? Just noticed the LH "arm" on my steering lock was binding onto the frame a little, which it hasn't done before, then looked and saw the whole steering lock assembly was tilting downwards, right to left. Popped the Emergency Start cover off and... mine's cracked in exactly the same position as yours.

Did you get it welded? Is there anything to know? Did Ducati have anything to say on it? Mines a 2011 bike, bought third-hard about 2 years ago. This has only just happened I'm sure, though there are signs of rusting around the crack, similar to yours.

Thanks

James

11. No I didn't do anything. My plan is to strip it in the winter. No other welds are showing any sign of issue , it's just very soft metal with a weakness put in at manufacture from where it's cracked. Mine hasn't moved and as the main dealer at the service popped some black electrical tape round it and that hasn't moved I'm not concerned. I do take the point though that it should be sorted. Pays your money and takes your choice , personally i do a couple of hundred miles a week and I've not aeen any adverse impact .
    Cheers
    Chris

12. Thanks Chris. I'm mystified as to how this could have happened. Calling local Ducati dealer tomorrow to find out if it's a known/recall issue. What's the "weakness out in at manufacture" that you mention above? Is it the weld where the screw holes for the emergency start are located?
    Mine has actually bent out of shape, just concerned that if I bend it back the other side will snap.
    Cheers
    James

Do Not Sell My Personal Information