1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Cracked On Carby 900ss, Room For Airbox After Repair?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by IanB, Jun 29, 2021.

1. The frame on my project 900ss has a crack on the headstock area which I need to get repaired. A chap down the road from me can repair the crack & weld in a strengthening bar into the frame - see photo of one he did recently.

[https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51278813158_5c9386c8b8_b.jpg Ducati frame.jpg ]

Couple of questions to the wise please:

Firstly, If anyone on here has had a similar repair done to their frame does the standard airbox still fit ok?

Secondly, My bike runs paired FCR39 carbs, if this arrangement with the standard airbox is not ideal for the FCRs, what would you recommend & as above really do you think I will have any problems with space after having the new strengthening bar welded in place?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

#1 IanB, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  2. I have the Steve Bailey frame brace. Getting the airbox out is tricky, you have to dislodge the fcrs at the same time.

So it should be OK, maybe get them to try it with the box to make sure before welding?

3. Only my opinion but if the crack is repaired properly there should be no need for the brace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. For me a removable frame brace's a clean and easy fix like this one.
    unnamed.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. That looks like the Steve Bailey one I have

6. Pass as i just googled it.:blush:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Same number with a white frame so it must be:thinkingface:, get your head under the petrol tank & report back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks guys. Desmoquatto I also have the Steve Bailey removable one but the welder I will be using says they are not as effective as a T45 welded in tube.

10. Hi
    The standard air box will not fit with a welded cross brace, I have the removable one fitted and have to remove it in order to lower the air box into the frame. My frame cracked around 10 years ago and after welding and fitting the brace I’ve had no problems

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information