1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Re-finish So It's Got To Come Off

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Eeza, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Another chunk of expensive plastic..... Lucky for me its not badly affected by ethanol and to be honest the fuel in the tank didn't smell at all like petrol. It's maybe 4 years old ?

IMAG0782.jpg

2. agree with your verdict of needing a full rub down and repaint (or powder coat).

I have found on the 998 that the rubber cable ties with fixing holes are flexible enough to just "wiggle" off the retaining tabs. if they have weathered on, then a bit of soapy water might help get them moving. yours may be different to the 998, though, in which case, ignore the above!

good luck with the strip and refurb.

3. Ok they look like they may wiggle off... The cable tie passes through the body of the fixing so once the frame's off It should be easier to get at them, now i know its simple zip tie i can simply snip them.

4. The weather was unreal here in the North East so my full day on the bike turned out the be the whole afternoon at Whitby.... I did manage to get some work on the bike completed.

The bike is looking uber naked now (even for a naked bike)

IMAG0793.jpg

Along the way I had a lot of fun getting the exhaust valve cable and holder off.

I am thinking the ignition key I can remove using the two nut method (back one into the other and then spin it out)

IMAG0784.jpg

As the wiring goes over the top of the frame and up to the sub frame it looks like that is going to be a bit of a mare.

What would be your next step, Forks out, or Swing Arm ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nice bike !! Looks like your enjoying it. If you have a rear paddock stand then its front end off first - just make sure its well supported. I use multiple rachet straps from roof joistswhen getting down this far. Best of luck

6. Thanks.... Yeah it's not really a chore to be honest. I don't have a paddock stand yet so I will jam the rear wheel in my bike lift and do exactly as you described...

I needed to do a lot more electrical work today than I had hoped but it's all free now and I have plenty of pictures to help with reassembly ..... I Hope

#26 Eeza, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. Ok no at start of play time this morning I have only to take the front and rear off...

Should be fun.
    IMAG0820.jpg

Had a lot of fun and games getting the electrical stuff off the sub frame

IMAG0810.jpg

A lot of work but it's going to be worth it

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ducati Frame Refinish Part 1 Complete

IMAG0835.jpg

I Popped up to The Ducati dealer on Newcastle and bought a paddock stand, i don't use them on my other bikes as I have an Ultipro but there was no way it was going to be possible without a wheel chock or the stand.

This was my setup:

IMAG0827.jpg

I Red-necked an engine stand from some timber i had in the shed and then slung the front cylinder between my two step ladder's

Worked a treat, I popped the swing arm pin back in and its plenty stable for a week or two..

All in all in think it was about 11 hours work over two and a half days...

I imagine it will be a lot quicker going back once I have the frame in situ.

• Like Like x 8
  9. I found a quiet place for the front end

IMAG0826.jpg

It's a good job I have a good sized garage.as this lots all over the place.

IMAG0834.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Excellent - it just needs to be stable as you say. The problem with paddock stands when doing this amount of dismantling is that you can only use them for a short amount of time - ie a front one becomess a hindrance once you want to remove the yokes - good luck

11. Yeah....my garage is (from what i can see) at least half the size (with 4 bikes and half a kitchen in there) when i stripped the hyper most of it went into cupboards....

So, what coating are you going for? (id be either cerakoting or using Xylan myself)....

12. Those pics are strangley erotic. :kissing_heart:

13. :bucktooth::joy:

#33 Eeza, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  14. Well I'm not 100% to be honest on the finish. I want something that looks original but as I said earlier I don't see me selling this so having it 100% standard is not that much of an issue.

I am leaning towards powder coating as I have had good results when using a reputable company. I had bad when using a local bloke who mostly does wheels.

I was thinking Tripple S as they are only an hour or so away and have a very good reputation..

I should study the alternative options mind

15. Where are you based @Eeza ? :thinkingface:

16. Doubt you will match the gold anywhere near and it will look very odd - paint it as original if your not changing the colour :thinkingface:

17. Personally, I'd go for Ducati Anniversary Red. It's not the correct colour for the year, but you have photographic evidence as to why it's been changed and was available on the last 1098SFS and SF848.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. :heart_eyes:

2011-Ducati-StreetfighterSb.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I live in East Durham but I spend a lot of time driving so it's easy for me to get to most places

20. There is a part of me thinks it should be red and that pictures just reinforced it lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information