1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Re-finish So It's Got To Come Off

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Eeza, Oct 4, 2018.

1. My fave SF combo

street1.jpg street1.jpg streetf.jpg streetf1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Red frame/gold wheels..think naked 1098R

1098r.png

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yes I like......

4. Guys I may be getting ahead of myself here but one thing I noticed whilst taking the bike apart was the copious amounts of red threadlock on almost every fastener.

I was a little worried that cheese fasteners along with aforementioned threadlock would cause me big trouble.

It didn't..

Upon reassembly I plan to use the same stuff on bits that clearly in the course of normal ownership would not be removed and then use blue threadlock on the bits that may occasionally need removing...

Your thoughts please

5. I'd go with OEM, they do it for a reason.

Saying that, I took the front mudguard off my Hyperstrada recently which was held on with red thread lock. It felt like the bolts were cross threaded, it was that tight, god knows why it was used for a plastic part. :confused:

6. This is my issue ALL of the fairings or plastics etc had thread locked fasteners..

7. Big twins eh. :motorcycleduc: :) They vibrate like a cement mixer full of breeze blocks. :grinning:

8. Well Iv'e been making some good progress on the rebuild and thought i would post a couple of
    Piccies:

IMAG1026.jpg

I have to say that the replacement of the rear mudguard was 100% way more an arse ache than I ever imagined

My cable routing is as good as it was to start with so happy about that. I am unsure about the rear foot pegs: Should I remove them I wonder ?

IMAG1027.jpg

IMAG1030.jpg

IMAG1031.jpg

#51 Eeza, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
  9. I know its not the OE Colour but it had to be Red :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Looking good but I would junk those pillion pegs. .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Just took them off :upyeah:;)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Looks great. Red frame with gold wheels is a nice combination. Never really liked the gold frames on a Ducati.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Looks like we have a similar obsession. 20180405_101825.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. It's a nice one too :):upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I've all but finished the frame refurbish and just need to swap the belts. ... I am guessing it would have been easier with the frame off but it wasn't exactly solid on the wooden engine stand

IMAG1161.jpg

IMAG1160.jpg

IMAG1158.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  16. I finished the bike 100% over Christmas and got the Timing belts changed as well, this was a very satisfying job. Don't be intimidated if your thinking of doing this as it really is a simple task.

There is a pretty good guide on Youtube for the 1098 and its easy to follow.

Honestly the hardest part was getting the carbon fibre covers off.

I took some pictures of the cam's as they should be when the Horizontal Cylinder is at TDC and marked them up well.

I bought a Cam holding tool to keep it all correct (Ebay) on the vertical cylinder and was able to complete the task in about 4 hours (Its a 3 hour job next time).

I downloaded the Gates App to both my phones (Android and Apple) and got the tension to within 1hz of ideal on both devices so happy days.

Here's some piccies but it really is simple and if you use your noggin and don't rush its a very satisfying job that anyone with a decent set of spanners can do. In this picture the Vertical cylinder is on its Intake stroke so the timing mark was not on the belt so just mark the belt AND the pulley to get it right.

IMAG1189.jpg

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG1192.jpg

IMAG1193.jpg IMAG1193.jpg

17. Just came across this thread, Its been a great read,
    You defo went with the best colour on the frame, Enjoy it mate

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information