1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Refurbishment - Powder Coat Or Paint?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by ck_uk, Feb 5, 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Powder will provide a better coating over irregular and hard to reach or inaccessible surfaces due to it’s electrostatic nature, but it will be an “all over” finish. Paint will only go where it is applied and as a result is much harder to apply. From a technical perspective:
    “While it is relatively easy to apply thick coatings that cure to smooth, texture-free coating, it is not as easy to apply smooth thin films. As the film thickness is reduced, the film becomes more and more orange peeled in texture due to the particle size and glass transition temperature (Tg) of the powder”.

2. 14ACDDF2-828B-4B9A-83FE-654D605BB433.jpeg Here’s one I did earlier, stoving (enamel) finish...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frame back from the blasters, literally a 48 hr turnaround. Nice job.

I've had once quote for powder coating so far, £75
    Not sure which way I'll go yet, but that seems good.

IMG_7399.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. IMG_5460-1.jpg IMG_5526.JPG I had a chat with Steve Turner at http://tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk/ decided to go for powder coating both the frame and wheels. Like Pete1950 I had him do the front wheel bearings to. I managed to coax the original VIN label off the frame using a heat gun and patience. Steve masked off the stamped number after blasting and before painting then clear coated it. Both the wheels and the frame are great, all the screw holes masked etc.
    Just need the engine overhauled and get the ride high adjuster bolt out the swing arm :mad: then I can start the rebuild!

• Like Like x 5
  5. Just got a pair of 1980 FPS wheels back from Steve Turner today, in Ducati gold. Up to the usual standard, i.e. excellent:

20190326_151934.jpg

20190326_151943.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. does anyone know someone in the East Midlands area, looking to get frame and wheels painted?

7. tpcs as mentioned in earlier posts are only about an hour from from W Mids or Redditch Shotblasting are even closer

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've heard good things about TPCS, I'll be using them soon for some wheels, frame, and a load of other stuff

9. Powder coat is great until you over fill your fuel and spills down the lovely frame:sob:

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information