1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From A Modern To A Classic

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Gav4R, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Having wanted to own a Ducati since 1994 I made the decision to purchase an 2014 1199S a couple of years ago. Now don't get me wrong it's an amazing bike however I'm always taken back to being that 14 year old dreaming of the day of owning a Ducati 916/996/998 the 1199S just hasn't scratched the itch.

Has anyone else gone from new era to old school? would you?

Look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks
    Gav

2. I have the option, I still have my MY2000 996, its getting restored over the next 6 months and purely for the occasional Sunday run, could never imagine going back to it for anything other than the odd cheeky nostalgia run and this is a bike I put over 50,000 miles on.

Still the one bike I have that pulls my heartstrings but compared to the 1199S (I have one of those also) it will be a torture device.

A 996 for me is now in the realms of being a bike you have if you have more than one, as you'll not want to ride it all the time, its proper hard work compared to the Pani.

As one half of a 2 bike garage, go for it, as something to look at, go for it, as a replacement for the Pani, not in my book.

Saying that though, if I had to sell all my bikes bar one, the 996 would the one that stayed. I'd just drive the convertible more lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks @Dibble I kind of guessed that the best answer here would be to own both as it seems like the best solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Except I wouldn't own both if they were road bikes, my 1199S is a track bike only for me, I used to pair my 996 with either a Monster or Multi for the road ... my 996 became my track bike for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I went from a 899 back to a 848 Evo a while ago, not the biggest jump on paper but in terms of concept it is tbh. I was actually spending a lot of time on a mates 748r and honestly that's what I should have got, not an 848, the 748R was just such a lovely motor to thrash and you could ride hard on the road without getting silly, the 848 while technically a lot better, it was actually harder down low in the revs, more grumpy in hot conditions and just wasn't easy to live with. The 748r wasn't either but on a blast it just exceeded enough to make up for it.

I can see stepping back as a great option for more and more people as we all inevitably come to the conclusion that bikes got far better than we actually needed them in about 2005!

The caveat though is track... I have a 99 Mille in my garage with 20k miles on it, even with it being 'up together' it feels like sh*t and feels OLD, it has very strange turn in characteristics and just don't make for a confidence inspiring bike on track, I've seen loads on trackdays, but none of them are standard, and have had cash thrown at them

• Like Like x 1
  6. My 1999 996 SPS is a far better track bike than I am a rider, that said, as is mentioned above , it feels old compared to my 1199. The bike I enjoy riding the most are my wife's monsters, one 17 year old the other about 8, and that's because I'm approaching 60 and my back aches.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Looks like there will need to be a 996/998 in my garage next to the 1199 then! quite like the idea of having a classic for leisurely ride on a sunny afternoon and then the 1199 for some more serious fun or a track day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I've not had the opportunity in riding the modern Ducati's as yet, so stuck and very happy with my lot at the minute for now, but like all vehicles two & four wheels as they get newer they're much easier on the body.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kind of. From modern to S4RS monster. What do I miss? An onboard clock and cruise control ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. same here i have a 2000 996sps and my pani r

i do love the riding my 996 every ride is special the amount of looks it gets is unreal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. IMG-20210722-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20210722-WA0013.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  12. why not a really clean 748s? They Rev quite nicely, and will be cheaper to buy

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. That’s the perfect combo, lucky man

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Would definitely consider a 748s as an option

15. Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 20.19.51.png
    Don't, do it once, do it properly, anything less than a 996 will feel awful after the 1199S, you don't even need a special ' S / SPS / R' you just need a decent one ...

Just a lowly 'Bip' for me ....

• Like Like x 1
  16. I still love riding my 916 Bip vs Pani R (996 SPS would be better and so would an R) but wouldn’t say it was awful!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Also have a couple of 999s , a 1098R and a 888SP4...don't ride them all...

• Like Like x 1
  18. :astonished::astonished:
    Does that mean you consider a 916 « less » than a 996? :astonished:

19. Well it is, isn't it???

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information