1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From A Modern To A Classic

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Gav4R, Jul 26, 2021.

1. The 996 isn’t bad for a copy.

2. Well if I went down the SPS route I figure I’m going to need to spend around £15k

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. a good 996s would be a good shout

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Indeed, I use the 1199 on the track now and 1098R on the road, at least till I sort one of the 999 out then they will be the road bike, 996 going in the lounge

• Like Like x 1
  5. A good SPS will be more than that ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Anything from £15k to £19k according to current adverts

• Like Like x 1
  7. If by that you mean it's like a 916 without the bad bits then I'd agree ( my favourite political quote is that David Cameron was described as being like Tony Blair but without the good bits : Tony Blair = 996, David Cameron = 916 then I guess, I know who I'd rather be ..)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I bet you wore millets flight jackets too.

9. :)
    Sorry, but I’ll have to totally disagree with you on this... Comparing equivalent models (standard, SPS, etc.):

Is a 916 “less” performant than a 996?
    Yes. But on the road, for your average joe, the difference is totally negligible.

Is a 916 “less” comfortable than a 996? Nope. Same pain.

Is a 916 “less” reliable than a 996?
    The bad rockers are mostly found on the 996...

Is a 916 “less” expensive than a 996?
    Not yet.

Is a 916 “less” desirable than a 996?
    From a collector stand point, I understand it’s quite the opposite.

So in a nutshell, 916s and 996s are very comparable whether on the road or with their fairings off. 998s are in a different league altogether. So IMHO, aside from the 996R (which a 998, really), a 916 is certainly not “less” than a 996. Just a couple years older maybe.

:)

#29 Guillaume69, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  10. I ran my 1299 and a 996s for a while, and the 1299 was of cause light years ahead in regards of performance and ergonomics etc.
    But there is still something special about the purely analogue way the 996 ( etc) ride. its a more physical input than the 1299 and it feels tiny in comparison.
    sometimes simple isn't always worse...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Only in bed...

12. Yes I fully understand thus dilemma. I wanted a 1098 from the day they launched but young kids got in the way. When it came time to buy in 2015, I did look at my original 916 desire but there was never any doubt what I was going to buy. Wouldn’t mind a Hyper and/or a White V2 to go with it mind, but that’s another story :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Perhaps Theresa May = 900ss ie

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. All the books are called 916 Birth of a legend or something like that. Theyre not called 996. The original is the best. Maybe not the best bike, but still the best badge.

I knew it. Real men wear Alpha even in bed. :p

15. 916 was my 3rd bike, second Ducati ( after a 600ss) should never have sold it ......the 600ss....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Who the f*** rides the badge ... ???

I couldn't go backwards from a 996 and in this scenario, 1199S owner looking at a classic I wouldn't advise anything lower capacity than the 996, the step back to 916 / 748 is too far, for me that is, if I were in his position, no one said that the 996 trumped the 916 or any other bike with that silhouette but based on what the OP has and what he wants, thats just my advice. Obviously if he has S / SPS / R money then even better, I wouldn't make a case against that, but 996 would be my baseline.

You lot are a right bunch of defensive souls at times but hey ho, I just hope the OP gets the bike he wants and gets a bike he is happy with.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Funnily enough, my book is called "Ivor, birth of a legend" sub title is "original is best" though

18. Relax Dibs, its just a laugh. I'd be happy with any 9**. Maybe not a 600ss tho.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Yes well said, was thinking this was turning into a top thread hijack, I keep buying with my heart , not head, I then can't part with them, hence I have a garage full

20. Spoiler: The Milkman did it.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information