1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Front Brake Pad - Be Aware

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Aug 31, 2017.

1. I decided to have a quick check on the front brakes pads and noticed a bit of pad showing - inside side of disk. Not happy with that and as I had already a set of brand new brembo pads decided to go ahead to replace and clean the calipers at the same time.

This is what I found and please note that the brake operation gave me no indication of anything wrong.

My advice and the main reason of this posting is to make you aware and take a look at your brakes more often - I will from now on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems this is the way it got stuck inside the caliber

[​IMG]

#1 Stavrich, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Crap Crap x 1
  2. crap pads? EBC are good, buy Brembo? what brand?

3. Changed mine for brembos at 4k miles, as the originals felt wooden. But they were at least in one piece, that sucks mate, did Ducati have an answer?

4. Your comments got me thinking and.... surprise surprise the ones I took were brembo as well. Different number from the ones just fitted - I hope the new ones wont go the same way....... I thought I bought the best :worried:

I will send an email and a phot to Brembo customer care and see what they have to say.

A couple of more photos....
    What I just fitted...[​IMG]

What I took out ...........
    [​IMG]

5. Regular walk round checks would of picked that up. How many miles has the wreaked pads done?? Do you store the bike in doors. Glad nothing bad happened to you & your bike.

6. Agreed fully. I do regular checks but I will need to be more careful in the future.
    The pads covered more than 20k miles and the bike is kept in the garage but is used all year round and to be honest I am not very good on washing - prefer to ride instead of polishing :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. No offence intended but you definitely should have changed those pads 10k miles ago mate regardless of condition. Pads are like tyres and need changing if they are more than a few years old. You're lucky the material stayed on there as it would have wrecked your discs if it fell off whilst riding which would have been very expensive. Probably worth checking your discs for scoring all the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. No offence taken and point taken.
    I had the new pads sitting in the garage for over a year but somehow neglected to fit - no excuse as it only takes a few minutes. Luckily disc is fine - lesson learned!

Thanks

9. Thats cool is all good :)

10. It's caused by corrosion creeping under the pad material until it eventually separates from the backing. As said above more frequent inspection and changing earlier if necessary is the answer.

11. really Brembo?
    what sort of salt you use on the roads sodium chloride??
    never seen it happen here? no salt?

12. quite common to see this in the motor trade.

13. I don't know where you are from but our roads here usually have salt on them from the start of November until the end of March. And it's not just brake pads that corrode :(

14. Honestly as the pads start separate, but prior to release a gap forms between the back plate and the friction material this makes the lever travel increase and get spongy? most riders notice the feel difference and a brake investigation finds it and fitting the new pads rectifies the problem? but what happened is there was no discernible feel difference, dangerous, Notice the pads haven't warn to full contact this suggest partial separation is all ready occurring or pre-existed on the LHS pad block note the failed pad block; so on a relatively low wear pad how do we get such comprehensive bond failure? How can the pads not be scuffed in after 20,000km?
    I believe it wasn't initially bonded properly out of the box, as witnessed the friction blocks were never flat enough to bed in, this allowed salt or something apparently to be held in the bond interface?
    This is/should be a huge liability issue for the world premier brake manufacturer, you might need to go to Brembo and explain that this has caused mental anguish and a loss of enjoyment in riding a bike using their product, and has produce symptoms similar to PTSD, and ask them for a box of them which you can give to your mates for test purposes dont chuck them want them? lol gold mine, and a civic duty under your duty of care obligations!! Yeah we dont need salt in Aussie and you dont like washing the bike like me; which means capillary action proberly held the salt in the initial separation area corrosion is always increase with temperature???? interesting

#14 breakout998, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  15. Have you been on ice or something?!
    I can barely understand a word.

Reminds me of the great Morcombe line: it's all of the right words just not in the right order :scream:

Ive never had more than 5k from a set of pads. DVT does them in under 4 (well, at the point I want to change them)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Well thank heaven for that, I thought it was just me :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Me too, mad as a box of frogs :p

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information